Has "hard-work" paid off?

Sorry to hear about the MIT thing. But it's not the end of the world. GT is a great school is a great town. They're doing a lot of bleeding edge research there also. Best of luck to ya kid.

"I'm a ramblin wreck from Georgia Tech and a hell of an engineer..." Football fight song. When you're not wracking your brains in class you can wreck your brain at some of the best bars and hangouts in the whole US of A.

Sorry to hear that you didn't make it through. At least, you still have a B plan. At least, you gave it a try. That's worth a drink!

Aww too bad man. MIT would have been sweet! But honestly, I wouldn't get bothered by which school you attend. It's through your own hard work and dedication that you'll get to where you want to be in the future.

I think it was a good reality check. Up until then I hadn't really failed at anything. I'm having my second round with them when I go to grad. school. Until then, I'll keep working hard I guess. Thanks for the support guys.

I value balance in my life. If working all the time is what brings me greatness, while a balanced life brings me only average success, I'll take the latter. Now, don't get me wrong. I worked pretty hard, but I'm saying that's all I could have done, is worked toward that goal. I guess in one way, it was selfish of me to hope to get accepted.

Aww too bad man. MIT would have been sweet! But honestly, I wouldn't get bothered by which school you attend. It's through your own hard work and dedication that you'll get to where you want to be in the future.
True, where you go doesn't matter a whole lot.

Has anyone heard of South Dakota School of Mines and Tech? No? Well they have 99% placement(avg $58k/yr) in engineering just like MTU, and plenty of other tech schools with jobs... And it only costs 14k a year total for out of staters. What I'm getting at is, the school doesn't matter a whole lot, especially for engineering. You will get a job either way out of college probably, and 5 years down the road, it's experience that matters much more. An engineer with 5 years of experience will get a job before an engineer with a Masters but no experience...

Georgia Tech will be a good school for you, you'll be plenty challenged there.

In the UK here, so whilst I can't relate exactly to how things work - if it's similar at all to how things are over here then the above post is spot on.

I know people who have gone to Cambridge, pulled out after a year or two and not got anywhere afterwards. On the other hand I know people who have gone to Greenwich (not hailed as one of the best unis around) worked hard, come out with a PhD in the end and are now raking it in. Employers these days are generally far more impressed with evidence of hard work and enthusiasm than they are by a piece of paper saying you've gone to Cambridge and just scraped through - so while you may not have got into exactly where you wanted, your hard work will still pay off.

And yes, there's the old adage that your degree only ever gets you your first job! Experience is really where it's at these days - degrees can be necessary yes, but often only as a helping hand to get you into the industry.

Back
Top Bottom