Trojan removal question?

jjhearn

Solid State Member
Earlier my wife was on the laptop at home and noticed the Mcafee pop up saying it detected something. She ran that (it's the full protection) and it said it found a trojan and removed it. She then ran the malwarebytes(?) and it also said it found one and removed it. Is it removed? How do I know? What should be my next steps in getting that junk off my comp?

thanks,

JJ

Do you recall what trojans they were? - Sometimes a trojan has specific removal software to help in targeting the common placement of it.

Different antivirus software picks up different traces, and some are more aggressive than others. Always remember to keep your software up-to-date and try to do all scans within Safe Mode if possible.

To get into safe mode, click F8 repeatedly while the system boots (once you see your motherboard logo). You'll soon see a menu that gives you boot options including Safe Mode, and allows you to select it.

Boot into that, and perform the scans and it might be more effective in actually removing it.

If you don't remember the trojan name and it comes back, write it down and submit it into google as: <virus name> removal tool --- or simply ask here. We're all pretty experienced and willing to help!

-----

PS: You may also run this free scanner to see if anything else comes up. Again, write down names for reference of infected files..
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Earlier my wife was on the laptop at home and noticed the Mcafee pop up saying it detected something. She ran that (it's the full protection) and it said it found a trojan and removed it. She then ran the malwarebytes(?) and it also said it found one and removed it. Is it removed? How do I know? What should be my next steps in getting that junk off my comp?

thanks,

JJ
If Mcfee and Malwarebytes says they removed the infection then it has been done, remember this... Not all antivirus programs are equal in performance as they all have their Pros and Cons.
If you are not happy with current programs try another, your choice.

Well, it happened last night. I was at work. I have been pretty happy with Mcafee so far, as that has been the 1st thing in 2 years I have gotten. I asked her th name of it, but she couldn't remember. But, i will get with her again, andhave her do the scan in safe mode, and if she happens to see it again, I will see what I can fin out.

And when I said junk, I was referring to the trojan, not my AV/mal protections.

thanks guys
JJ

ok, Bahawolf, I ran the housecall you suggested, it showed clean. Also, I found where the Malwarebytes had quarantined the virus(s). It had TROJAN.FAKEALERT under the category Registry Key, and also HIJACKED.EXEFILE under the category Registry Data. I assume they are all in one together, but I don't know. Either way, the Malwarebytes forum said all I had to do is remove selected, which I assume is the delete all, on my Malware scanner.

Does this all mean that it is cleared, and all I have to do is delete them, and it is all done, for now?

Thanks again for all the suggestions and replies. So far, so good, all the advice I have been given on this board has kept me going strong. Thanks

JJ

you should watch when having 2 virus scans on your machine, always look at the path or the virus because they will think that each other are virus esp. mcafee, it thinks things are a virus when they are not. if it was a trojan it prolly is in your local settings app data show hidden files and see if it is in there

Well, it happened last night. I was at work. I have been pretty happy with Mcafee so far, as that has been the 1st thing in 2 years I have gotten. I asked her th name of it, but she couldn't remember. But, i will get with her again, andhave her do the scan in safe mode, and if she happens to see it again, I will see what I can fin out.

And when I said junk, I was referring to the trojan, not my AV/mal protections.

thanks guys
JJ

ok, Bahawolf, I ran the housecall you suggested, it showed clean. Also, I found where the Malwarebytes had quarantined the virus(s). It had TROJAN.FAKEALERT under the category Registry Key, and also HIJACKED.EXEFILE under the category Registry Data. I assume they are all in one together, but I don't know. Either way, the Malwarebytes forum said all I had to do is remove selected, which I assume is the delete all, on my Malware scanner.

Does this all mean that it is cleared, and all I have to do is delete them, and it is all done, for now?

Thanks again for all the suggestions and replies. So far, so good, all the advice I have been given on this board has kept me going strong. Thanks

JJ

http://www.411-spyware.com/remove-trojan-fakealert

Here are directions to complete remove it in case some things were missed.

OK, thanks. I am at work again but will be home this afternoon. I will give it a go then.

run hijack this it will show you every process running on your machine and you will be able to delete and end them. It will also show all exe and run files on your computer. Your lucky this is not antivirus 2010 that thing sucks

if you have two virus sanners or more, isn't it possible that they can conflict with each other? just want to comfirm this while the thread's active

Back
Top Bottom