Building a Home Server

Just seen the VPN question. Do you have a router that will support VPN? If not you can simple do port forwarding on your router. To do this just login to your router and click on the port forwarding create a new connection -->enter your ip addy of your server choose a protocol and make it port 3389. once you have done this turn on RDP on your server and get your external ip address. Go somewhere off your network and test it out you should be able to rdp right into your server.

As of right now, the VPN is a moot point. My college is no longer blocking my email or website for my business, and if I need to DL torrents, I just log in to my server/desktop via LogMeIn. I never need anything urgently, so I just copy files to my laptop when I'm home on the weekend.

Nonetheless, I'll keep all of these VPN things in mind for next year, as I may be living off campus (i.e. no clue what kind of ISP I'll have).

thats how i have my setup at home i have it hooked up to my desktop and shared out from there works very well if you ask me. If you get a chance you should dcpromo that bad boy and get AD up and start messing with GPP's. As far as the other post server 08 is awsome. I love it we upgraded many of our clients to it.

Back
Top Bottom