Building a Laptop. TIPS Please!

yoo992

Solid State Member
Alrighty. This is going to be my first time ever building a laptop.
So I'm planning to get the intel i5 processor. I need to know which motherboards are compatible, which barebone laptop would be the best, and just any tips in general. I'm thinking that I can add 4GB RAM or higher, Harddrive I really don't care much about because truth be told, I never even fill 150GB.

I just want a power machine for the lowest cost and most efficiency- sorta like everyone else..

By the way, as far as graphics cards go, do you think that it's worth it? It doesn't really affect the speed of the computer, just simply the aesthetics of it which i'm not really interested in..

Anyways just help me out in any way you can. Any useful comments are MUCH appreciated.
Edit: I'm deciding to go with either XP or windows 7

THANKS

You are assembling a laptop? I didn't know it was possible to buy separate components to put one together.

Shoot I can't believe I didn't write that. I'm going to be going with Windows 7. I'm thinking about even just going with XP because I know it takes less memory and doesn't hog the processor as much.

But theres no way in h*** I'm going with Vista. I don't know what Microsoft was thinking when they made that..

You are assembling a laptop? I didn't know it was possible to buy separate components to put one together.

yep.. It definitely is..
About a year ago, it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack to find the parts for the laptop, but it's not too difficult nowadays.

You want to search for a 'barebones' laptop. most of these come with a processor already in them but some of them don't. I think that its cheaper just to buy one without the processor and add in my own that I buy separately, but I want to make sure I don't run into any compatibility issues..

What will this machine be used for?

Lol I should have answered that question as well in my first post. It's going to be used for a little gaming, (Warcraft 3 if anything) but everything else will be for normal use, (writing documents, etc.)

The reason I want a big power machine is at my job, I constantly need to test out programs before I run them on the customer's computer.

Also, most computers regardless of how fast they claim they are, and no matter how much you clean registry, temp files, cookies, startup apps., everything you can possibly think of, start running slower.
I just want one that can consistently give me top performance for years to come

Its been possible for quite a while, but kind of a niche market because of the price. I really do not know of a site to buy the parts at, but if someone could post one, I would be able to take a look and give some recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom