Remote Assistant

Well, that's easy enough. START > ALL PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > (COMMUNICATIONS > ) Remote Desktop (some XP installs have it just in the accessories, others in Communications). Run it, and put either the name or the IP address of the desired PC to remote in to, and connect. Now it's like you're sitting at said PC.

NOTE: You need to allow remote desktop connections on the remote PC. Right Click on My Computer, and go to Properties. Go to the Remote Tab, and allow remote desktop sessions (I'm currently on Windows 7, and don't have an XP machine booted and near by to tell you the exact syntax). Also make sure to go into the Select Users area and add any accounts that you may want to log in with. Take note that any account you wish to use for RDP (Rem. Desktop) MUST have a password on it, else the system will not allow it.

Kevin

^The important thing is the password. A lot of people forget this part of the steps and wonder why it doesn't work.

Also the wording is "allow users to connect remotely to this computer" and the button is Select Remote Users. Pretty darn close from memory PvilleStang.

VNC is also good as i saw posted above. very simple to use and just as easy as rdp to setup. Just download the VNC server and install on the headless computer. Setup your username and pw you would like to use to login. All the server console to start at startup that way if the computer goes down you can still login. Go onto your other computer and just install the normal VNC, open it up and enter your username and pw. If you get an error saying that it can not be contacted the server service is prolly not started

Great tool we use it at a school we deal with for the sign computer we setup for them. I actually found this really sweet tool its called remote desktop manager. I d/l it cause we got a buch of clients and i wanted to centeralize my RPD connections which it does an awsome job at it but it also has an are to add VNC connection and also allows you to add your virtual machines to it it is a really nice tool now i got my VNC, PPTP connections, RDP and virtaul machines all at my finger tips in one tool woooo

Back
Top Bottom