laptop randomly restarts

mikee

Fully Optimized
Today I have noticed that if I leave my laptop on for a few hours every now and again it will just randomly reset. I do not have any power options set for this to happen. At first I would go to use my laptop and it would be sitting at the logon screen so I thought it was coming out of standby but since all my programs start up again it seemed fishy. then later in the day I was using my desktop and my laptop was just sitting on my other desk and it all of a sudden starts speeding up the fan for a brief second like it does at start up and I noticed that the computer had reset and was starting up again.

What could cause this? My laptop is a HP pavillion DV6700 dualbooting vista and 7.

I checked the event viewer log and this is what came up in the time frame of the random restart.

captureqy.png

its the rtm windows 7 ultimate 64bit I'll try vista. By the look of the event log it started happening yesterday. I'll take a look at vista and see if it happens there as well. Is there any way to tell what is causing these shutdowns through the event viewer?

Edit : I forgot to mention I have ubuntu installed under wubi as a third os but a few days ago It refused to charge the battery while plugged in. It just ran off ac power without charging the battery however in windows it charged fine.

I saw you said you have multiple OS's installed on this thing. Will one run without any issue or do they both keep restarting. I want to rule out the OS as being a cause. Overheating will cause this to happen. have you cleaned it out? Also dust on or in the RAM slots will cause it to reboot.

I'm trying vista right now so far it is just affecting 7 but I haven't used vista in so long so I have yet to find out if the issue is isolated to one os.

There is a hotfix from microsoft for this error code that you are having have you tried to d/l that. I have been using win 7 pro since its release i love it.

mike,

did you already crush the win 7? could you organize to error in eventvwr and post them?

I still have win 7, its a triboot of win7 (primary os) vista and ubuntu (wubi installed)

What is the error code?

I don't remember seeing one

6008 but that a general shutdown error saying that it restart abnormally. If it patched and up to date?

Back
Top Bottom