Advice about video card choice

caiser4

Beta member
Hi,

I am putting together my new computer and I need some help with my hardware choice. I'm thinking about buying a Alienware computer since it's one of the few which are sold in my country. I have to choose between video cards and I was wondering which is better: A double SLI geforce GTX 260 or a single geforce GTX 295. The single 295 is in fact more expensive than the double one. What would you suggest?

Sorry for the bad English.

Thanks

I say neither. Get a HD 5870.

The GTX 295 is a little bit faster, but the 5870 has DX11, which will future proof you, costs less, supports eyefinity, is single GPU (means better multi-card scaling), consumes way less power, and will be easier to find a second one later on to crossfire.

But to answer your original question, a 295 is faster than GTX 260 SLI. GTX 275 SLI is what you would need to beat it.

Thank you, I will seriously consider the 5870. I hadn't really thought about a not-Nvidia because I've always had a nvidia. Of course, that isn't a good reason.

Right now, ATI really is the best choice. They have the best performance, DX11, better multi-GPU scaling, better price/performance ratio, and eyefinity support.

If anyone tells you to avoid ATI because of driver issues, ignore them. They are nvidia fanboys, who truly have no idea what they are talking about. Yes, there were some driver issues right at release, but they are all taken care of. Nothing like nvidia's drivers that would turn the fan off during games, killing the GPU.

I will also bring this up: Don't buy alienware. They use terrible parts and overcharge. We can help you put together your own custom computer, then build it. It's actually not hard to do at all.

I would suggest either the GTX 295 or the HD 5870 if it's available.

I will also bring this up: Don't buy alienware. They use terrible parts and overcharge. We can help you put together your own custom computer, then build it. It's actually not hard to do at all.
Since when does Dell use "terrible" parts? besides, did you read this part of his post:
I am putting together my new computer and I need some help with my hardware choice. I'm thinking about buying a Alienware computer since it's one of the few which are sold in my country.
Buying separate computer components may be a bit expensive and hard to get in the Netherlands. :D

Dell uses terrible parts in my book. At my old school, we had thirty dell computers in the computer lab. There was never a period when they all ran, and there was a backup one we would swap in whenever one would die. So that means 2 or more would always be dead.

And the Dell in my parents' room is dying in about five different way right now.

Mobo, HDD, Both optical drives, power supply, dead usb headers. Just the ones I can think of. I have done more work than you can imagine on that thing. It just started giving me a BSOD unless I put the hard drive in IDE compatibility mode.

Plus who has ever considered bestec PSU's and cheap oem hard drives to be 'quality?' And they have retarded form factors. Whose idea was it to put the mobo on the wrong side of the case with upside down expansion slots? It nearly killed my x1300 because I forgot to take it out and extensively clean the cooler for one month. The thing was idling over 100C.

Sorry, its just that I hate Dell after my personal experience.

I actually recommend buying PC parts off ebay (you get buyer protection) and getting international shipping. Its actually quite reasonable compared to most sellers in countries like austrailia, netherlands, etc. with expensive parts.

Back
Top Bottom