Confused about 64 bit vs 32 bit instalation...

Webb

Solid State Member
Okay

I have this HP desktop computer which is running on Vista 64 bit ( Don't know the specs )

So I want to downgrade to 32 bit Vista Business to be used on a Dental office,which require Vista 32 bit.

So my question is: Can I just buy a Vista Business 32 bit and install on the HP computer ( Clean install ) ? Would the hardware configuration matters ? between 64/32 ?

I want to do that to save them some money,instead buy a new computer $400.00 I would just install Vista 32 bit $110.00

Thank you

That shouldn't be a problem. If your hardware supports 64 bit, it will support 32 bit as well. The only foreseeable problem is if you have more than 4GB of memory installed. 32 bit version will only recognize and use somewhere around 3 and 1/2 GB (don't remember the exact number). But it won't hurt anything to run it like that. Should be fine...

Vista 32 can have 4GB of RAM, but this is including VRAM. The normal system RAM cannot exceed 2^32 bits (hence the name) which equals about 3.10 GB of usable memory.

Keep this in mind. If you get any more than 3GB, it is a waste.

Yeah, I use to have 32 bit and it would only detect 3.3gb of my ram.

I installed 64 bit windows and it optimized it all now and shows 4gb

So I should be okay installing Win 32 bit regardless the amount of memory I have ?

The other thing to watch out for is drivers - it'd make sense to double check there's 32 bit drivers available for all your hardware before you go ahead with it.

i agree with berry you will run into problems with driver's, you will not be able to just do a downgrade so your going to have to do a fresh install anyway so if your going to have to buy the vista 32 bit i would just go with win7 32 bit. It should already find all drivers for the machine. I made a mistake by going with win7 x64 myself now i have to run a 32 bit virtual machine to use the cisco vpn stupid cisco.

Well the dental software,only works with Vista business service Pack 1,when I went to buy it the refer to the software as UPGRADE to existing Vista Business 32 bit,so do I need to have already Win Vista 32 bit installed to SP 1 to work ?

Or I just install the SP1 on the PC as clean install ?

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom