Overheating....oh boy.

criscoh88

Baseband Member
I just built my first computer. in the process i learned that i did not know anything about computer hardware. It has been giving me issue after issue for the past year. I slowly figured out how to fix what and saved up for the appropriate parts. but Ive decided to join here to ask the remainder of my questions and possibly learn more about computers.

so, my recent problem is that my system is running too hot. lucky i have a Pentium quad core so it shuts off before starting to burn. but it reads to be running around 50c and that's just only after the pc being on for a minute. I also noticed that my video card is running a little hot also. my video card is a big fancy nivida geforce 9800. I just bough a massive case with 3 fans and such but the temperature only went down a little.

does anyone know what i can do?

I take it that the CPU just started getting that hot? Has it always been that hot. Have you tried reseating the Heatsink with a good application of thermal paste?

Video Cards normally run hotter then your CPU's etc.

Ever since i got the computer first running, that was maybe 3 weeks ago, the cpu has been hot, I did apply a small layer of paste, i have seen no temperature difference. I notice the heat coils around the fan get hot very fast.

Whats the Internal temp on the case? If the air in the case is hot and the processor is hot, look at case air flow. If the case's internal temp is good then direct your attention to the Heatsink.

Did you use the OEM heatsink or an after market heatsink?

Thermal place should be a thin even layer. The heatsink should be seated very tight against the CPU. Does this seem like a true statement when you talking about your CPU installation

if your cpu is 50° that is fine, it's a little hot (the cores are probably around 65-70°), but not hot enough to shut down the computer, if your computer is shutting down there's something else wrong with it, my cores get up into the 80s when running LinX sometimes without shutting down...

i don't know anything about heat sinks. i used the one the motherboard came with. I got a nivida nforce 790i so i figured it would come with a good one.

The airflow should be good in the case, my case i just got is a cooler master. it has a top fan right by where the processor seats and i feel pretty cool air coming from it.

I'm thinking i probably didn't do the paste right if that's so essential. I will check on that when i get spare time and post back on the outcome. I also feel the heat sink does not click in all the way on one corner and is loose, so that could be the culprit also.

Thank you for your help

if your cpu is 50° that is fine, it's a little hot (the cores are probably around 65-70°), but not hot enough to shut down the computer, if your computer is shutting down there's something else wrong with it, my cores get up into the 80s when running LinX sometimes without shutting down...

so how would i go about finding what this other problem is if that is the case, i know nothing about tooling around in the bios.

If you think the CPU heatsink may be loose, then I would definitely address that. Could be the whole problem...

i don't know anything about heat sinks. i used the one the motherboard came with. I got a nivida nforce 790i so i figured it would come with a good one.

The airflow should be good in the case, my case i just got is a cooler master. it has a top fan right by where the processor seats and i feel pretty cool air coming from it.

I'm thinking i probably didn't do the paste right if that's so essential. I will check on that when i get spare time and post back on the outcome. I also feel the heat sink does not click in all the way on one corner and is loose, so that could be the culprit also.

Thank you for your help

so how would i go about finding what this other problem is if that is the case, i know nothing about tooling around in the bios.

usually it's something like "hardware monitor" or some thing like that...

You could just install coretemp, everest or speedfan and do it from windows. This way, you will be able to stress the cpu and get accurate temps. Try prime95 and see how high it gets.

Quit if the cores get over 70C.

Back
Top Bottom