terabyte drive?

For storage, SSD's still have a ways to go. They're far from HDD's in the price/gigabyte ratio.

Please... I have a hard drive with a massive 20MB of storage. Someone paid big for it.

I also have an atari tape drive. Can put about 1MB onto a standard cassette.

Exactly, I have a 10mb harddrive sitting in my storage room.

As for SSD, it will take over eventually. Look at how fast flash memory took over camcorders and all of that. It's also got a lower failure rate from my understanding.

No moving parts to wear out. Also more resilient to sudden shock (like dropping the drive).

That's my thinking exactly. Also, it should be better since they should, in theory, run cooler. I didn't know if there was something else that caused them to die though, I'm not very familiar with them.

Yes, potentially fatal flaw. SSDs work in blocks. Every block accounts for amount of storage space. Everytime windows boots it uses a block. Now, on 7, this isn't a problem because it will use the same black or erase the block it just used without damaging it at all. However, Vista and XP and all Macs do not do this. They corrupt the block at boot up. Significant damage will take a very long time but less time than it takes a HDD to crash. So if you don't have 7, don't bother.

Yes, potentially fatal flaw. SSDs work in blocks. Every block accounts for amount of storage space. Everytime windows boots it uses a block. Now, on 7, this isn't a problem because it will use the same black or erase the block it just used without damaging it at all. However, Vista and XP and all Macs do not do this. They corrupt the block at boot up. Significant damage will take a very long time but less time than it takes a HDD to crash. So if you don't have 7, don't bother.

Wow, I didn't even know that. That's rather interesting. I did know, however, that in XP and Vista you had to do a bunch of changes to get any benefit from the drive, and you still didn't get the full advantage of it.

That's my thinking exactly. Also, it should be better since they should, in theory, run cooler. I didn't know if there was something else that caused them to die though, I'm not very familiar with them.

Another thing with HDD's is that running cooler isn't necessarily better. Excessively-cooled drives show a tendency to fail sooner.

Probably the best thing for HDD's is to keep the temperature at a consistent level. Basements are unusually good because the temperature is usually consistent year round.

Back
Top Bottom