New Server, but using old server as computer

TinaFord16

Beta member
I'm not sure if I'm in the right forum so I apologize in advance if I'm posting this wrong.

The company I work for replaced their old server before I started working here. They kept the old server and now my boss is using it to check emails and to get on the internet. However, now he wants to map to the server we have set up so he can look at files and print things off. The old server still has the 2003 Windows Server OS, so I was wondering if that was a problem in mapping it to the new server. Also, I believe the computer name is still listed as the "S" drive, which the new server is also named. I went into the new server and created a profile for him, the server prompted me to connect via I.E. on his computer. However, when searching for his profile, or any profile for that matter, it didn't list any. I was wondering if anyone could help me on this situation?

My position here is receptionist but I do fiddle around with computers, though I didn't go to school for it, so I'm not sure how to do everything they ask me to.

^Agreed.

Join the old server to the domain. You will need a domain admin account to do this. Then he will be able to login to the domain with his profile you created. That will be the easiest way.

You're probably going to want to change the name for the old server if the new server has the same name. Duplicate names don't play nice.

what?? yall using a nas box? or is he just trying to connect to a share on a server machine. Now if the two server's are actually named "S" thats an issue and will need to be changes but if you are just trying to connect to drive S your fine. You do not need to join it to the domain if you are just trying to connect to a share. you will have to use a UNC path such as \\servername\share. Now i am sure your Boss has a username and pw so he will just have to use that in this manner:
domain\username
pw
This will connect him to the share without you having to do much of anything with that. Not to sure why he is ever using a server to look at his email and go on the internet does he not have a desktop or laptop weird

Back
Top Bottom