will this CPU be a upgrade

You'll get the dual core which will be nice. It will be a nice upgrade. And will definitely overclock to 2.8 no problem. What kind of mobo do you have?

You'll get the dual core which will be nice. It will be a nice upgrade. And will definitely overclock to 2.8 no problem. What kind of mobo do you have?

General Information :
Manufacturer : ASUSTek Computer INC. (Asus)
Product : EMERY
Version : 1.05
Serial Number : MB-1234567890
Support MP : Yes, 2 CPU(s)
Version MPS : 1.4

Chassis Information :
Manufacturer : Unspecified
Type : Desktop
Version : 1111
Serial Number : Unspecified
Asset : Unspecified

Sensor Information :
Hardware Monitoring : SMSC DME1737

On-Board Device Information :
Embedded Controller : Yes

Slots Information :
Slot PCI : Available (32-bit) 5.0v
Slot PCI : In Use (32-bit) 5.0v
Slot PCI-Express : In Use (x16) 5.0v

External Connectors :
Parallel ECP/EPP : DB25 female
Keyboard : PS/2
Mouse : PS/2
Video : DB-15 female
Audio : Mini-jack (headphones)
Network : RJ-45
FireWire (IEEE P1394) : 1394

Internal Connectors :
PRIMARY IDE : On Board IDE
FDD : On Board Floppy
LPT1 : DB25 female
PS/2 Keyboard : PS/2
PS/2 Mouse : PS/2
Back Surround L/R :
Side Surround L/R :
Center/LFE :

copied this from pc wizard does this tell you? l

The Intel pentium d 820 is a dual core. I'm not sure that you'd see that big of a difference between the two....

The mobo specs doesn't tell me much. Run CPUZ and tell me what kind of chipset you have...it's under the Motherboard tab.

The mobo specs doesn't tell me much. Run CPUZ and tell me what kind of chipset you have...it's under the Motherboard tab.

General Information :
NorthBridge : Intel i945P
SouthBridge : 82801GH (ICH7DH) LPC Interface Controller

NorthBridge Information :
Architecture : Direct Media Interface (DMI)
Manufacturer : Intel (Hewlett-Packard Company)
Codename : Lakeport
Revision : A1
Bus Speed : 200.1 MHz
FSB Frequency : 800.2 MHz (QDR)
FSB max. Support : 1066 MHz
RAM max. Support : DDR2 (667 MHz)

Here is a compare thing from intels site http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=27512,35300,

Unless I'm missing something, I'm not really seeing much of a performance difference between the two. They are both dual cores running on the same FSB and they have the same cache size. The only real differences are the E5300 is clocked slower, uses a smaller die size and runs lower at 65W.

I believe it's a Clock-per-cycle effect.

Looking at the chipset...I'd do a BIOS upgrade..and it could work. That chipset is the bare limit, and some boards will take it and some not. But since we're talking 800FSB on both, I'd say it should work...but no guarantee.

Unless I'm missing something, I'm not really seeing much of a performance difference between the two. They are both dual cores running on the same FSB and they have the same cache size. The only real differences are the E5300 is clocked slower, uses a smaller die size and runs lower at 65W.

There's more to it than just the numbers. The architectures are different. The old Pentium's are not very efficient clock-per-clock, which is why most gamers went with AMD's K8 CPU's at the time. Despite having slower clocks, they still performed better.

Back
Top Bottom