PC3200 DDR upgrade

Man, isn't anything wrong with asking questions before spending money.

Quick Answer: The problem in what your looking at is the socket types are incompatible. I do not know which P4 you have. I could guess but i would not be certain. The P4 processor family was quite large

I knew you probably were not interested in a new computer Build but..... I'm gonna try lay this out for you.

The system that you are telling/showing me about has an intel P4 CPU using old DDR ram.

This tells me that you have an an older P4 CPU on a motherboard probably designed for an even earlier model P4 then you have. Whats does this mean? It means you are several technology advancements back, and you are using what is now considered "Legacy Hardware".

This is is important because when you are working with legacy hardware things get though to find and value is hard to obtain etc.

Here is one of many possible examples:
Manufactures stop producing this legacy hardware, or produce it on as needed basis. This causes a supply and demand situation. The supply has stopped, but as these older computers start failing demand is created. This pushes prices up on the existing legacy hardware on the market. So now this DDR ram you need, and now a motherboard that we are trying to couple your P4 processor with, are going to cost a lot more then it should (possibly the same as replacing all three parts with newer technologies would cost).

The prices almost always inflate when dealing with legacy hardware as well as limited availability. We could sit here and debate the reasons surrounding this all day long, but we won't.

Bottom line, its probably gonna be a better idea to build a new one. Although Price the differences and then compare and decide. To help drive this home I think NewEgg carries less then 5 of these boards(i'm guessing)

Your Pentium 4 is a socket 478 CPU, of which Newegg carries only two motherboards that are compatible. They both use DDR2 memory, but have only PCIe slots that would require you to purchase a new PCIe video card to go along with it. I'm really not seeing too much of a performance increase with the money you'll be spending by "upgrading" your old system. As stated previously, you would be better off just getting a newer system.

1. Thanks for all the help, its hard to find good, efficent, and quick help lately with matters as this without it costing a bit of money.
2. Alright, from the sounds of it I should just abandon the idea of replacing as it is goign to be expensive and not as much of a performance increase for my money.
3. Ive decided to look for a new build then, does anyone know of any decent builds that arent too expensive?

Yeah man just come up with a budget.

I like the recommendation that Ihuser gave you. Its good name brand stuff from my favorite companies. It will be faster then what you have now. It has on board video on the motherboard. Later you could put larger RAM in it, or a larger graphics card if you need to.

155 bucks is hard to beat for name brand.

Back
Top Bottom