Short wheel base or long wheel base?

You ever been 4wding? People go to great lengths and expense to get wider tyres. The wider the tyre the better traction in mud and sand. That's why people let the air out of their tyres to increase the footprint and make the tyre "wider".

Very true, however once you are moving skinnier tires will let you keep rolling further.

393.jpg

You ever been 4wding? People go to great lengths and expense to get wider tyres. The wider the tyre the better traction in mud and sand. That's why people let the air out of their tyres to increase the footprint and make the tyre "wider".
People go through a lot of length for the wrong things when building cars and trucks for sand. My friend does a lot of dune riding at Silver Lake, MI, and he sees a lot of 100k+ trucks that can't make it up the first sand dune. Wide tires are somewhat important, but more important is a light vehicle for mud and sand. Now if you are going through areas that just have a little surface mud, and more hardpacked ground below it(woods) then you would want something a little skinnier. It all depends. If you are in just mud, you want a big wide paddle tire to paddle through the mud.

Here's some pics of those suzukis

100_1328.jpg

100_1129.jpg

100_1120.jpg

Those are modded Suzukis though.

If you feel more comfier driving a smaller car and gas is something to worry about, the I'd get the Short Wheel base. However, I'd look for a hard top...I'm sure there's some out there...or I could be wrong.

I don't like soft tops, or T-Tops (Camaro), not because of the esthetics or the fun to drive, but because they leak overtime.

Back
Top Bottom