Configuring WDS on a member server

JDHOWARD

Beta member
Hi there, I was wondering if someone may be able to clear something up for me.

Is it possible to configure a Server 2008 machine, specifically for WDS?
Is it absolutely necessary to install Active Directory services or DHCP services on the same machine, if all of that is being provided by a different server?

I'd like to work in the Server 2008 machine alongside a couple of other Server 2003 machines - is it possible to do this without making the 2K8 machine a Domain Controller?

JDHOWARD,

Yes, you are actually supposed to configure this on a 2008 server. If you do plan to configure on a 2003 you need to have RIS installed in order for it to work. You absolutely do not need to have AD or DHCP installed on the same server. It is actually supposed to be installed on a seperate server because it does not like to work on the smae machine as DHCP. If you do plan on install on a DHCP server make sure you select option 60 and 67 or it will not work. WDS has its own pxe server installed on it as well so you will not need one. I hsve found that if you do not custom make your wim's this is a very slow tool to use and you would be better off going with something such as ghost

Back
Top Bottom