SLI 260 GTX Random Restarts while loading games

Herpderp23

Baseband Member
So, I just bought myself a second 260 GTX. Installed drivers, and enabled SLI mode. I got on Battlefield Bad Company 2, and after I joined a server and the map loaded, I hit join and then my computer randomly restarted. I also tested it on Modern Warfare 2, and the same thing happened. After I disabled (though nvidia control panel) SLI mode, my game worked perfectly fine. I put the newer card in the first slot which I used for single mode, so it doesn't exactly seem to be the graphics card having problems. The cards are PNY 260gtx and MSI 260gtx, which I've heard you can run in sli as long as their the same model or w/e. Maybe I don't have enough power? If anyone has a solution I'd appreciate it! Thanks =D

Specs:
Two 260 GTX's
4 Gigs Corsair
i7 Quad Core 2.6ghz
X-fi Fatal1ty
EVGA X58 Sli Mobo
Raidmax 730W PSU

By the way, I have 1 SLI Bridge going from the top card to bottom card, even though there are 2 connector slots on both cards, do i need 2 SLI bridges for just 2 cards?

So, I just bought myself a second 260 GTX. Installed drivers, and enabled SLI mode. I got on Battlefield Bad Company 2, and after I joined a server and the map loaded, I hit join and then my computer randomly restarted. I also tested it on Modern Warfare 2, and the same thing happened. After I disabled (though nvidia control panel) SLI mode, my game worked perfectly fine. I put the newer card in the first slot which I used for single mode, so it doesn't exactly seem to be the graphics card having problems. The cards are PNY 260gtx and MSI 260gtx, which I've heard you can run in sli as long as their the same model or w/e. Maybe I don't have enough power? If anyone has a solution I'd appreciate it! Thanks =D

Specs:
Two 260 GTX's
4 Gigs Corsair
i7 Quad Core 2.6ghz
X-fi Fatal1ty
EVGA X58 Sli Mobo
Raidmax 730W PSU

By the way, I have 1 SLI Bridge going from the top card to bottom card, even though there are 2 connector slots on both cards, do i need 2 SLI bridges for just 2 cards?

Sounds to me like your PSU can't handle it. I don't know if Raidmax is a reliable brand, but for some reason I don't think they are. Also, you should only need one bridge, the other slots are for 3 way SLI.

You may be a bit low on the power side with the Raidmax PSU. They aren't exactly known as "high quality" units. While 730W should be plenty, it's a tad light on the 12V rail with 48A. They recommend at least 700W with 50A on the 12V rails. A good quality unit such as an OCZ, Corsair or Antec may be a better choice for SLI.

You may be a bit low on the power side with the Raidmax PSU. They aren't exactly known as "high quality" units. While 730W should be plenty, it's a tad light on the 12V rail with 48A. They recommend at least 700W with 50A on the 12V rails. A good quality unit such as an OCZ, Corsair or Antec may be a better choice for SLI.

What he said :p

Hey! Thanks. Yah pretty much everyone I've talked to is saying PSU. Sucks to have SLI set up and ready to go, but no juice to run it! I better get ordering. I might go with Corsair, it had a ton of good reviews. By the way what watt should I get? 900+? I have quite a few things in my computer.

Unless you're overclocking and adding a physx driver, I think 750w would be fine. But it never hurts to have more (does your your wallet though :))

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009&Tpk=corsair 850

I think I might go with that, should be good enough right? lol

So I just got myself the 850w Corsair from Best Buy, since I have no patience. Installed everything, double checked. Everything started ok, got on ventrilo for less than a minute, then a loud BEEP in my headset, comp locked up, and I had to do a manual shut down. Any idea what a constant loud beep means after installing a new PSU? Hope its not defective.

Back
Top Bottom