Educate myself

lostsoul62

Baseband Member
I have been retired for 7 years and each year I'm getting dumber and dumber so what is the best way to keep myself up on the computer happening of the world. Read PC mag, PC Word, I am really starting to feel stupid because I just haven't been updating myself. I don't need to read anymore 1,000 page tech books. I'm not looking for deep techie stuff just want to talk the talk and walk the walk. When I'm on my death bed I'll still be able to build a computer from scratch so any suggestions for an old man with his head in the sand?

Hello there. I would like to try to help the most I can. It's good to stay busy.

For some more reading material, I suggest you look at Wikipedia. I can spend hours reading Wikipedia going from one topic to another. There are a lot of good tech articles you can look at.

You state your goal as wanting to "be able to build a computer from scratch". You should be able to find a lot of help here. I've learned mostly by myself by taking apart computers and putting them back together.

I'll probably post back later with more info.

If you go to eBay or amazon there's books on how to build your own computer. But I think your goal is to understand what your putting in and why. For that, I agree, wikipedia has loads of information.

I too learned everything by taking apart and putting together computers. You can also go to youtube and check out reviews and overviews of different parts and manufacturers.

Here's the main parts of every computer:
CPU (core processor)
Motherboard
GPU (graphics card)
Power Supply
Hard Drive (Either hard disk drive or solid state drive)
RAM memory
Optical Drives
Operating System

These are some things people upgrade (to):
Any aftermarket cooling systems
Sound cards
USB 3.0 ports

check newegg everyday and random forums

i read reviews and stuff on newegg and toms hardware for fun for like 20-30 min

Back
Top Bottom