Dell Vostro 1500 Hardware Problems?

PJester

Beta member
Hello,
I have a Dell Vostro 1500 with some possible Hardware Problems. I wanted to get some feedback from the rest of the community on if I am looking in the right direction.

The laptop was running Microsoft Vista Home Basic and was encountering several programs not responding throughout the day. So I decided it was time for a format. So I backed up the personal files on an external drive and decided to just do a "Dell Factory Restore". Well I ran that, and I would get an error message in the middle of the install. The Error Message did not contain any text, just a red circle with and X, very odd. So I thought it was maybe a problem with the "Dell Factory Restore" image. So I thought maybe this is a Hard Drive Problem. So I purchased a brand new Western Digtial 160GB SATA Drive from New Egg.

I took out the old hard drive and put in the new one and got " No Internal Boot Sectors to Boot To". So I was like ummm ... Bad Hard Drive?

Well I booted to the Windows Vista Business CD I had and ran an install. Everything went great yet when it was done the install and rebooted I got a "System Repair Screen" which kept failing.

So i decided to run a Dell Diagnostic. The Dell Diagnostic found an Error 2000-0123 with DIMM Slot A (AKA Bad DIMM) So I went in and removed the "bad" DIMM from slot A and replaced it with the DIMM from slot B. I reran a Dell Diagnostic and it came out clear.

I then tried to do another format and reinstall of Vista Business and still got the "System Repair screen" which kept failing. Any thoughts here?

The BIO does detect the HD

I ran the Dell Diagnostic and it came out fine for the 1 DIMM thats in Slot A right now. Do you still believe I should run a MemTest?

So I broke out my Windows 7 64 OS Disk, that installed no problem and runs fine, boots right to the desktop, wtf!? lol I need to put Vista Home Basic on there, as that is what the laptop came with.

Think reformating again with the Vista Disk might work now that Win7 worked fine?

The Vista install is "Expanding Files" right now, so we shall see. The other thing i was considering was my Vista CD being scratched enough that it's causing a corrupt OS install. The bottom of this CD looks like it's been through a wood chipper. I might consider contacting Microsoft and having them send me another copy. Thoughts?

yeah, that would be the problem.

or you could borrow one, then use nlite to create an ISO and burn your own copy. I always back up my Windows install disks.

yeah, that would be the problem.

or you could borrow one, then use nlite to create an ISO and burn your own copy. I always back up my Windows install disks.

I usually do the same thing, ofcourse this is the one OS I didn't. Epic Fail:confused:

So the Vista install went through and ofcourse gave me the "System Repair Screen" and failed. So it's got to be my Vista CD right?

Probably if its as scratched as you described.

Try to get a hold of a different CD. IIRC, vista had all the installs on one disc (or so I heard), so as long as you got the right bit count, it should work.

Back
Top Bottom