Need help choosing some parts for a old build.

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
So I think I am going to finally start upgrading my brother's computer. It's an old Compaq, and I forgot the model, and don't feel like going downstairs to check. Anyways, I just gave him my old CPU, which is an AMD Athlon X2 4800+. Back then he had an single core clocked at 2.6Ghz, forgot what it was though.

So now, I need 3 parts. A video card (he has an 7300GT currently), a PSU (current is 250W), and 2GB of ram (he has 2 x 512mb so far). Problem is that he is willing to go up to $150 USD. He will play some games, not sure about recent ones, but would be nice to have the chance. His monitors max resolution is 1440x900 (or 1920x1080 if he wants to use his new monitor).

Suggest me some parts where nothing will bottleneck each other, or try to keep it minimal. Thanks.

EDIT - RAM is DDR2, and the motherboard has an PCI-e x16 slot.

its gonna be bottlenecked, and where is there a decently priced one of those. The only decent one I know of is XFX and thats 65 dollars. guy has a max budget of 150. still has to be ram and a psu

So I think I am going to finally start upgrading my brother's computer. It's an old Compaq, and I forgot the model, and don't feel like going downstairs to check. Anyways, I just gave him my old CPU, which is an AMD Athlon X2 4800+. Back then he had an single core clocked at 2.6Ghz, forgot what it was though.

So now, I need 3 parts. A video card (he has an 7300GT currently), a PSU (current is 250W), and 2GB of ram (he has 2 x 512mb so far). Problem is that he is willing to go up to $150 USD. He will play some games, not sure about recent ones, but would be nice to have the chance. His monitors max resolution is 1440x900 (or 1920x1080 if he wants to use his new monitor).

Suggest me some parts where nothing will bottleneck each other, or try to keep it minimal. Thanks.

EDIT - RAM is DDR2, and the motherboard has an PCI-e x16 slot.

Honestly for $150 its not even worth upgrading in my opinion. I'd say at least $300-$400 would do a decent job for the upgrade, but then again i might just be spoiled when it comes to upgrading.

says the man with a 920 i7 and a P6T motherboard. But I agree, it's not really gonna get better, not noticeably at least. itll just hold out longer

Back
Top Bottom