Need help picking out a vcard

Hey again guys. I did a little benchmark research, and I decided that a 5770 is overkill for anything I would be playing for the next couple of years, so I'm gonna go with the 4850 instead, and if I need more power, I'll just buy another and double up. I really don't think there's going to be any games that I will be playing for a long time that will utilize dx11.

The 4850 plays both sc2 and dragon age on max settings with >60fps in 1920x1080 (I would be using 1440x900, so there's even some legroom leftover).

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131162

This is what I'm looking at, it seems to be very well received, gonna keep my eyes open for a better version of the 4850, as I really don't know what makes one any better than the other. Gonna get the same PSU still though, might need that in the future, no sense in cheaping out.

*edit*

or maybe this

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161296&cm_re=4850-_-14-161-296-_-Product

Little pricier but I would assume 1gb is better than 512mb. Yeah yeah, laugh at me for being a newb.

It scales a ton better in crossfire. And you will have DX11 support, so instead of upgrading, and buying a new card outright, you pop in a second.

I don't want to spend that much on a card anymore. I don't play shooters, at all, ever, so there's really no reason to go so overboard, I had no idea just how overkill the 5770 was. Even the 4850 is overkill for what I need.

And you're gonna ask "Well, what about games that come out in the next couple of years?" That'll be diablo 3, and the 4850 will run that perfectly as well. When diablo 3 comes out, all other gaming will cease to exist for half of north america for a year or two haha, including myself.

I really don't see anything new coming out in the next couple of years that will run badly on a 4850 that I would want to play. People are running crysis on... uhhh, I dunno if it's max but it's like ultra high or something, with a smooth fps. I've watched dragon age videos, oblivion videos, starcraft 2 videos all on 4850 and it's beautiful.

All I really want to know is which VERSION of the 4850 is best. I've looked all around and people keep pointing to all these different cards from different companies claiming to be the best.

Apparently it runs really hot too so my primary concern is supposed to be the cooling.

*edit*

I'm not sure if I mentioned it or not, but if I wanna upgrade, I won't have to buy a new card outright, I can just buy a second 4850 if by some miracle I need more power. If I need more power, I wouldn't need much more.

I'm pretty sure Diablo 3 will support DirectX 11. Not fully, as it's a DX9 app natively, but seeing as Blizzard has a partnership with AMD, you can bet there'll be some DX11 features in there. Diablo with Tessellation would be amazing...

I'm pretty sure Diablo 3 will support DirectX 11. Not fully, as it's a DX9 app natively, but seeing as Blizzard has a partnership with AMD, you can bet there'll be some DX11 features in there. Diablo with Tessellation would be amazing...

I don't see how dx11 could change the visuals in diablo 3, being isometric and all. I don't think I would notice any difference even if it did support it.

I don't know why everyone is so dead-set on a 5xxx series, from all the googling I've been doing, 5xxx fry more easily, have a shorter lifespan, randomly die after 2-3 months for no apparent reason, etc etc. as opposed to a 48xx.

What I'm tryin to say is, throw me a bone here, what's so good about the 5xxx besides the difference in raw power? Raw power which I do not need. What other saving graces does it have over the 48xx?

less heat, better overclocking, DX11, eyefinity, better crossfire scaling (much better), and you will be able to find a second for crossfire easily.

The only 4xxx series cards that are worth considering right now are the 4890 and the low end cards (like 4670 and lower)

Trust me, 5750 is worth it over a 4850.

less heat, better overclocking, DX11, eyefinity, better crossfire scaling (much better), and you will be able to find a second for crossfire easily.

The only 4xxx series cards that are worth considering right now are the 4890 and the low end cards (like 4670 and lower)

Trust me, 5750 is worth it over a 4850.

You could always give me yours ;) You seem to have lots to spare. Haha!

*edit*

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121363&cm_re=5770-_-14-121-363-_-Product

I know it's a 5770, but it's the same price as a 5750 and it has comforting reviews. Thoughts? I know I have to take reviews with a grain of salt but I can't order an item with 25% of the people voting 1 or 2 eggs. I just can't.

Also, I'm noticing more and more often people are saying things like "I need a better mobo for this card" I thought psu was the only requirement for a gpu? How do I know my mobo will be alright with this card?

unless your mobo is a total POS, the card will be fine.

That one is good, love ASUS, but I bet I can find a better deal than that.

EDIT: This card will be fine. Ugly cooler, but it works the same. Don't expect it to overclock well though. If you want overclocking, get the Vapor-X. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131328&cm_re=5770-_-14-131-328-_-Product Only 512MB tho.

This one is really your best bet. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127460&cm_re=5750-_-14-127-460-_-Product It has the v2 reference cooler, which cools amazingly, and its MSI so no BIOS flashing for afterburner, so you could easily get this thing to 1000MHz if you really tried.

Back
Top Bottom