Weight Lifting

yo sniperviper,

Just to tell you, building muscle alone will not make you healthier. You need to incorporate toning, heavy weights, cardio, and flexibility.

It's my first year of college this year and I started off @ 185lb, 5'9, 26% body fat.

I dropped down to 162lb in about 3-4 months (dec of last year) and started eating more and weight training.

Now I'm around 170lb and 14% body fat.

For me, my goal is to get faster, more flexible and more cut rather than large.

For you: whats your current diet consist of? are you trying to simply bulk up or also lose fat?

yo sniperviper,

Just to tell you, building muscle alone will not make you healthier. You need to incorporate toning, heavy weights, cardio, and flexibility.

It's my first year of college this year and I started off @ 185lb, 5'9, 26% body fat.

I dropped down to 162lb in about 3-4 months (dec of last year) and started eating more and weight training.

Now I'm around 170lb and 14% body fat.

For me, my goal is to get faster, more flexible and more cut rather than large.

For you: whats your current diet consist of? are you trying to simply bulk up or also lose fat?
How the hell did you lose weight when you went to college??? lol

Good form, take breaks, pick a good routine. 3-4 days a week, and let muscles have a day or two to regrow. Switch things up also. Different types of lifts every couple months. Taking protein helps. Your muscles need protein to grow, and the type of protein in the powders is the best kind. I think it's also in dairy products.

Oh, and bodybuilding.com is REALLY GOOD. Really helpful there, I highly recommend signing up and asking the same thing there.

Oh, and finally, start out with a lot of pushups and pullups, do a lot of bodyweight exercises, they are the best.

How the hell did you lose weight when you went to college??? lol

Good form, take breaks, pick a good routine. 3-4 days a week, and let muscles have a day or two to regrow. Switch things up also. Different types of lifts every couple months. Taking protein helps. Your muscles need protein to grow, and the type of protein in the powders is the best kind. I think it's also in dairy products.

Oh, and bodybuilding.com is REALLY GOOD. Really helpful there, I highly recommend signing up and asking the same thing there.

Oh, and finally, start out with a lot of pushups and pullups, do a lot of bodyweight exercises, they are the best.

1. determination and consistency
2. super heatlhy diet/ no desert/water and milk/ no fried saucy stuff, fruits
3. cardio
5. weight training

I would incorporate protein later when you get down to the nitty gritty. Stuff is expensive and starting off will be rather easy

Best rule of thumb is cardio 4 days a week, strength training on the days in between. Or some version of that, but never 2 of the same days back to back (well, cardio you are fine back to back, but never work the same muscle groups back to back).

Also, just remember you can't spot reduce. It doesn't work that way. Doing 1000 crunches every day might make your abs stronger, but it won't JUST get rid of your beer belly--the calories burned will burn fat all over your body. Fat goes on and comes off of your body where ever it decides to; you have no control of that.

Start running....A LOT. It will help you lose weight and burn the unwanted fat. In the beginning, do mostly exercises that involve your body weird.

Lots of reps, low weight.=Tone
Low reps, high weight=Mass

Everyone saying cardio cardio cardio are wrong.

You do not need cardio at all. Cardio will actually reduce your muscle mass. Cardio is useless unless you want to become a skinny marathon runner

If you want to burn fat, build muscle and tone up at the same time you should perform HIIT exercises, its really the only way to go.

Look it up... HIIT

Go to livestrong.com and click on the "daily plate" link. I've been using this site now for calorie tracking and it's awesome. It always you to enter in your stats (height/weight), set up a goal (lose 1-2 lbs per week) and then calculate a recommended calorie count. Then at the end of the day you enter all the food you've eaten and any exercise you've done. It calculates your calories (as well as other key nutritional stats).

My personal experience:
1. I haven't eaten a food that I can't find or find something really similar on the site.
2. I've lost 10lbs just by reducing my calorie intake (no more exercise than before).
3. I've figured out that I eat way too much sodium so have tried to really cut back on that.
4. It makes me think twice about what I eat. I realized that I ate a lot of "empty" calories.

Everyone saying cardio cardio cardio are wrong.

You do not need cardio at all. Cardio will actually reduce your muscle mass. Cardio is useless unless you want to become a skinny marathon runner

If you want to burn fat, build muscle and tone up at the same time you should perform HIIT exercises, its really the only way to go.

Look it up... HIIT
This is true. Cardio will burn fat... but a lot of cardio will also burn muscle. A lot of routines on bodybuilders.com switch between a bulk and a toning routine every couple months.

http://www.buildingbodies.ca/Cardio/cardio-muscle-loss.shtml

"I think it's safe to assume that just about anyone could do up to 45 -60 minutes of cardio a day, 6 to 7 days a week without losing any muscle - as long as the proper nutritional support is provided"

"aerobics can actually enhance recovery from weight training and increase muscular growth by developing the circulatory pathways that provide nourishment to the muscles"

"losing muscle has more to do with inadequate diet than with excessive aerobics. If you suspect you are losing muscle there are four likely causes"

basically if you wanna do both, eat more

Back
Top Bottom