Question to boggle the mind

superman22x

Golden Master
If you have a true vacuum, meaning no matter inside it. What is the temperature inside the vacuum?

Temperature is a measure of the average energy of motion of particles in matter.

Since there is no medium to be heated or cooled then temperature just cannot exist in the vacuum.

Plus, you wouldn't be able to test temperature if it did exist, which it wouldn't, because no matter gets in it to do so.

But its hard for us to think about how it would feel if we could, as it couldn't be hot or cold...

I'm guessing it'd be more cold than hot if you think about the fact there are no particles to excite...

We couldn't feel it because we wouldn't be able to live in a vacuum so we can only speculate that it is a void of anything.

Has space got any matter in between the physical planets, etc? Does space have a temperature?

Space does, it is extremely cold temperatures, but not quite absolute zero. There are gases up there, but no gravity so there is no resistance.

Correct me if I am wrong, this is what I remember haha.

Lol, I read this article about scientist in Mexico who calculated that if dark matter were real and had the properties that have been described, that they could cover a ship in dark matter and accelerate the air around the ship faster than light so it can reach warp speed. But then later in the report it said in that world 1+1=3. They were talking about something weird like that.

But as we get less and less matter, aka space, the temperature approaches absolute zero, so does the temperature all of a sudden become absolute zero with no matter, as there is no activity, or does it become undefined because there is no way to measure?

Back
Top Bottom