Debian Help

jmacavali

Fully Optimized
Ok. So from here I've decided to try Debian. I'm going to need alot of help. I'm not sure where to even begin on the download. What do you recommend I download to get started with it?

Ok. Downloading CD 1 now. What packages should I download once I have it set up?

I think Debian comes with the SeaMonkey browser rather than Firefox. Same thing, just without the copyrights. If I think of more, I'll edit this post. I'm currently not using Linux on any of my machines.

VLC
Mplayer
libdvdread
Wine
Xchat

It comes with epiphany, which is basically firefox with better security.

pidgin should be included.

You also want to get a couple games right?

Get FoFix, armagetron advanced, and freedoom.

I don't remember if Openoffice is included, so that as well.

e17 if you want it to look epic.

Ok. And do I just google search for all of these things or how do I get them?

Also -- adding it to a Windows domain. Possible?

ummm no

Go into terminal and type:

Code:
sudo su
#you will be prompted for a password
apt-get install packagename

#I believe e17 is a tar.gz that you have to download. In this case, 
wget link to file

dpkg -i e17.tar.gz (or whatever it named the file as)

If its a diffrent file type, let me know, and I will give you instructions to install.

Well...it's installed. Doesn't seem that much different than Ubuntu.

The main reason I didn't keep Ubuntu is because for the life of me I can not understand the Terminal stuff. I have no idea how to download/install/get anything. So right now I'm sitting with a bare-bone OS and don't know how to work it...hmm...

The main reason I didn't keep Ubuntu is because for the life of me I can not understand the Terminal stuff. I have no idea how to download/install/get anything. So right now I'm sitting with a bare-bone OS and don't know how to work it...hmm...

This may seem a bit harsh - but I'm afraid the only sure fire way around this is to, well, learn the terminal stuff. It's not that difficult if you sit down and research / learn it for a bit. Just a few basic commands will get you started (chmod, touch, vim, rm, mv, su, sudo etc.)

If you don't ever want to touch a terminal, then sorry to say it but Linux / Unix just isn't for you. Ubuntu is one of the most terminal-less variants around, so if you can't get by with that then pretty much anything else is going to be a struggle.

I guess I understand that. I'll be putting this on the back burner for now. I'll keep it in mind as I still would like to get away from Windows (at least on one of my PC's) so I'll keep it installed and look at it every know and then. Thanks for your help guys, appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom