Challenge for the day

foothead

Omnicide now.
Thanks to Lowndsey for inspiring this.

Anyway, idk if anyone will participate, but I thought it would be really cool to see who could build the best Rube Goldberg machine. I am getting started on mine right now.

If you don't know what a Rube Goldberg machine is, it's an overly complicated contraption made of common household objects that creates a chain reaction, until it does a very simple task at the end. (e.g. flipping a lightswitch) If you want, go look on youtube for some inspiration.

Basically, build whatever you can, if you feel like it, then post a video here. Just for fun.

You win! Mine just refused to work and after resetting it and tinkering with it for 3 hours,i gave up :(

So here was the plan:

a040380d.png

So i'd push first domino that would continue on until it hit the CD and then the Bluray and than the Video,which would fling the gate out of the way which would send the candle driving up the track,stopping under the string, burning it, which would release a weight which would hit more dominoes which would hit the marble,release it down the track which would then hit the push rod which gave the car a tap sending it down the spiral hitting the dominoes at the end,then climaxing by building up to DVD's and then hitting two see saws that would touch my phones screen which would start to play Kashmir bit Led Zepplin.

Everything worked great until the candle burner the string then the weight tapped the dominoes which didnt want to climb up the DVD's,so i pushed it manually (This had been the 4th this had happend) and the marble didnt release,so i pushed it and nothing worked from then except the domnioes at the end and the see saw's worked great.

If i had of kept patient for another hour or two it probably would have worked but after 6 hours you get annoyed. lol.

ok so i currently have this setup:

I hit a tape measure, the tape measure retracts activating the motion sensor on the singing fish. It starts singing, then its tail hits a dvd case, knocking it down, causing a domino effect on six more dvd cases. The last one knocks a fiching cork, which rolls down a rail made of a coathanger, ending up on a pile of game cases. It rolls into a funnel (the top of a two liter bottle)then goes into a roll of paper, which turns 90 degrees. It comes out and hits a lever, which knocks down a giant 20 sided die. The 20 sided die is attached to some monofilament, which goes through a pulley system consisting of a wrench and some old RAM. At the end, it pulls the button of another tape measure, which retracts, and knocks down a small container of water, with a hose siphoning from a bigger glass. The water all pours into a tupperware container on another pulley system (a wrench and a ruler)making *something* go up (havent decided what yet)

And that is what I have so far. At the end, its gonna turn my stereo on.

You win! Mine just refused to work and after resetting it and tinkering with it for 3 hours,i gave up :(

don't give up. :(

The trick is to take it all one step at a time. Whichever one you are testing, block all the others so it won't continue. This way, there is a lot more working and less resetting.

The hill you are making the dominos climb is too steep. Make it more flat and it will work better. Looks awesome though. I haven't decided what I am gonna make mine play, either beatles or some Zeppelin if my album comes in tomorrow (i ordered it two weeks ago)

We'll see...

Oh, and put some sort of seesa under the marble to make it release. I can't figure the car thing out exaclty, but it looks like it needs something of the sort too.

Back
Top Bottom