Why so slow?!

Raguvian

Solid State Member
My computer is an old desktop that I built at the end of 2005. It's got an AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 2GB of RAM, ATI X850XT, running Windows XP.

Recently, it seems to have hit a wall in terms of speed. It freezes up occasionally while browsing the web, and open Zune music player takes forever as well. Also, I'm trying to play Combat Arms. My computer more than meets the recommended requirements for this game but I am constantly lagging. I used to play the same game a few months ago with no problems but now I can't even play it anymore.

I tried defragmenting my hard drive but it hasn't done anything. My virus scanners also come up clean.

Is my processor just dead?

no do this. go to start>all programs>accessories>system tools>disk cleanup. that should proll do it. Then do this after but it takes like an hour or so depending on ur comp. Start>all programs>accessories> system tools> disk defragment

Do you have DDR2 ram or DDR?

Your processor is a single core and frankly, really old. But opening up programs and browsing the web has more affect on the hard drive and RAM. If it's five years old, I'd say just build a new one. Chipsets and everything in computer have a life span, and sooner or later they just don't give anymore.

If you're intent on keeping most of the system, I'd try getting some new ram and an Athlon II and you can definitely get a better graphics card. But then your already halfway there, new motherboard and hard drive and it's nearly a new system. Your decision though. But I doubt it's just the processor.

Why get rid or a perfectly good computer? I also don't see a reason to upgrade other than the graphics card. I'm assuming he isn't throwing the latest and greatest games at it.

I would suggest backing up your data and wiping your computer and reinstalling Windows XP. I five year old install of Windows is due for a cleanup.

Do you have DDR2 ram or DDR?

Your processor is a single core and frankly, really old. But opening up programs and browsing the web has more affect on the hard drive and RAM. If it's five years old, I'd say just build a new one. Chipsets and everything in computer have a life span, and sooner or later they just don't give anymore.

If you're intent on keeping most of the system, I'd try getting some new ram and an Athlon II and you can definitely get a better graphics card. But then your already halfway there, new motherboard and hard drive and it's nearly a new system. Your decision though. But I doubt it's just the processor.

It's DDR RAM.:D

Why get rid or a perfectly good computer? I also don't see a reason to upgrade other than the graphics card. I'm assuming he isn't throwing the latest and greatest games at it.

I would suggest backing up your data and wiping your computer and reinstalling Windows XP. I five year old install of Windows is due for a cleanup.
XP was only installed a couple of months ago, maybe a year at max. I don't know my CD Key and don't have the install discs so I can't reinstall it.

And no, I don't play the latest and greatest games but even simple games don't work.

legodude has got it right. upgrade your vid card. see if your motherboard is ddr2 compatible. And real quick, do you know what socket you have on your board?

legodude has got it right. upgrade your vid card. see if your motherboard is ddr2 compatible. And real quick, do you know what socket you have on your board?

If he has DDR, then it's pretty obvious the board isn't DDR2 compatible...

A 3500+ is either Socket 939 or Socket AM2...knowing the motherboard model would help.

Is it possible the hard drive could be failing?

A 3500+ is either Socket 939 or Socket AM2...knowing the motherboard model would help.

It's a Abit AN8-SLI Socket 939 motherboard.

I don't think my hard drive is failing, but how could I tell for sure? I'm thinking it's just time for a new computer...:D

Download and install Ccleaner. Run the cleanup utility as well as the registry cleaner. After that, go to the Startup option and uncheck everything that is not needed, most times the only checked thing would be your antivirus software. Reboot.

2005 is around the time boards starting becoming ddr2 compatible and there were boards made that were both. Just like today there's a few with ddr2 and ddr3.

Back
Top Bottom