grinding noise from power supply

EricM

Daemon Poster
Recently, my computer would start making a grinding noise which sounded like something was loose in one of the fans. So i investigated where the noise was coming from and it is coming from my power supply. It first started a few days ago then went away but today it came back so I immediately turned off my computer.

I am guessing there is something wrong with the fan in the PSU, so I probably should just get a new unit. i currently have an Ultra 550w X-connect 2 power supply.

So can anyone recommend me a new power supply (600W should do) around the 100-150 dollar price range? Preferably a modular power supply.

I was thinking of getting another Ultra...
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2974472&CatId=1483#
just because their modular system is amazing.. but I am a bit skeptical after owning one of the quality of their units.

I also am considering this one...
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171036

Thanks for the help.

You don't need to pay nearly $100 for a quality, 650W power supply. Albeit, Silverstone is a pretty decent company, but it's not the best out there and it's not the most economical either. If I have time later I'll throw down a few links.

You don't need to pay nearly $100 for a quality, 650W power supply. Albeit, Silverstone is a pretty decent company, but it's not the best out there and it's not the most economical either. If I have time later I'll throw down a few links.

I'm all ears too if you have a better idea for a cheaper psu. Right now I'm $32 over my budget for a psu/gpu.

Remember that both the TC and myself are canadian, and the deals on the .com website are rarely the same as the .ca website. This might be why it seems like the psus we were talking about were overpriced to you.

Not only does the canadian side often not have the same deals (if at all) as the american side, but the base price is often higher.

Taking all of this into account, can you still beat the deal on the link I made?

Back
Top Bottom