Need help picking out a vcard

That is grounding yourself. Yes it discharges static. Plug the psu in, then touch it and you are grounded.

What model is this 430w? I have never heard of one with such low amperage on the 12v rail, which leads me to believe it is either dual-rail or terrible build quality.

Model.... JPC-425-12v(430w max) is what it says.

Completely correct; Electro-Static Discharge occurs. Just touch any bare surface of a conductive metal and you're set. I normally discharge again if I got up or moved a lot.

EDIT: The company could have been quite conservative with the wattage label. I'd have to do all the math to check if 430w of output is correct.

Completely correct; Electro-Static Discharge occurs. Just touch any bare surface of a conductive metal and you're set. I normally discharge again if I got up or moved a lot.

Considering my cat is starting to avoid me because I accidentally shock his nose and ears every time I touch him, it's probably best I stay vigilant with the discharging hahaha.

Don't wear socks or a jacket when you are working on your computer. Re-ground yourself every time you get up.

In Louisiana, I actually tried to fry some RAM and couldn't. too much moisture.

Don't wear socks or a jacket when you are working on your computer. Re-ground yourself every time you get up.

In Louisiana, I actually tried to fry some RAM and couldn't. too much moisture.

But my toes...:(

*edit*

Actually, forget the other PSU. Remember a few pages ago I mentioned how I've had a card fry with a bad psu before? Well, this 430w was that psu, and it fried an nvidia in the 6xxx or 7xxx series. I'm not sure what the model was, but it was about 5-6 years ago and the card was $60 at futureshop at the time, so it couldn't have been a very good card, and was still fried (one of the cylinders had a popped top)

It had a blown cap? That usually isn't the PSU, but excessive heat that will cause that.

If you still have the card, its a VERY easy fix.

.................That's a shame. And is this common knowledge among techies? Staples told me that "the card was completely fried and would never see use again, but oh! This other card is on sale for only $XX!!" Should be able to sue for that...

If I DO have that card, then I have no idea where it is. I've moved twice since then and I don't recall seeing it in the boxes, though I don't remember actually throwing it out.

I don't know why the tech department of staples is allowed to exist, it should be shut down.

.................That's a shame. And is this common knowledge among techies? Staples told me that "the card was completely fried and would never see use again, but oh! This other card is on sale for only $XX!!" Should be able to sue for that...

If I DO have that card, then I have no idea where it is. I've moved twice since then and I don't recall seeing it in the boxes, though I don't remember actually throwing it out.

I don't know why the tech department of staples is allowed to exist, it should be shut down.

lol, let's not get ahead of ourselves, easy is a relative term in this instance, foothead means well, but easy to one of us may be too much hassle for someone on the outside...

what you can do is get the cap (all the information you need should be on the cap), go to radioshack, find a replacement (if they have one in stock), desolder the old one, take it off, put the new on on and solder it in...

simple to some, too much hassle for others I guess, the person at Staples just assumes that you're one of the 99.9% of the people out there who don't want the hassle...

considering broken, yet fixable parts disposable is actually pretty common in the computer industry, just swapping out a bad part with a new one is more time efficient in most cases, especially when you can just bill the new part to the company and it's not coming out of your pocket...

lol, let's not get ahead of ourselves, easy is a relative term in this instance, foothead means well, but easy to one of us may be too much hassle for someone on the outside...

what you can do is get the cap (all the information you need should be on the cap), go to radioshack, find a replacement (if they have one in stock), desolder the old one, take it off, put the new on on and solder it in...

simple to some, too much hassle for others I guess, the person at Staples just assumes that you're one of the 99.9% of the people out there who don't want the hassle...

considering broken, yet fixable parts disposable is actually pretty common in the computer industry, just swapping out a bad part with a new one is more time efficient in most cases, especially when you can just bill the new part to the company and it's not coming out of your pocket...

Of course it was going to come out of my own pocket... They told me it was unfixable so that I would buy a brand new video card from them. They charged me $40 just to take a look at it, okay yeah, I get that part, but then they tried to push a $100 sale on me making it sound like I had no other choice.

This was quite a few years ago when I had zero computer knowledge (not that I'm an expert now, but I do know when someone is hosing me now).

Regardless, this was half a decade ago, and the card is long gone, so now all that's left is to decide what to do with the $300. We discussed getting a 4830 now and another 4830 and crossing them in the new system instead of 1x 5770.... But there may be a point in the future when I need dx11 support.

I've been reading that some cards crossfire better than others, so here's my new question: Can I buy 1 5xxx series video card that crosses well, plus a PSU that can handle 2x of the card in question for $300 (after taxes and shipping)? I hope that came out properly and made sense.

Back
Top Bottom