Going to overclock my i7, Which aftermarket heatsink to buy!?!?!

oneshot1

Baseband Member
Hi all, im looking at overclocking my i7 860 soon just to get some extra performance out of it for upcoming games i will be playing. I need to buy a new heatsink for it but im not sure which ones are the well known good ones on the market these days. Price is not much of an issue but looking at less than 100$ for one. If anyone has any ideas as to which ones are good ones out there feel free to post! i dont think ill have to worry about room as i have the cooler master haf 932 case and plenty of room.

People on newegg are retarded.

Go by professional reviews. Its a heatsink. Not something electronic that will die on you.

This is the ONLY one star review.

Pros: Works well, I have the older model the tower 120 as well. I use fishing line tied to the top of my case to help support it.

NOTE: NEVER!!! NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER, never!!! spread the thermal paste on the cpu. Always use the following method: put a glob of thermal paste in the center of the CPU about the size of a pea. Carefully and quickly mount your CPU cooler onto the paste rotating the cooler back and forth to spread it out.

IF you should EVER pull the CPU and the cooler apart you need to reapply everything.

THIS is because you get tiny air pockets between the cooler and the CPU, thus decreasing the cooling efficiency by a factor of ten!

Cons: NEVER Spread Paste!

Other Thoughts: The consistency of thermal paste has nothing to do with its efficiency, servers ship stock with a drywall putty consistency paste.

Oh, and this cooler rocks! 32 C idle on a 3.3 GhZ phenom II 940 (in a 76 degree room)

He says it rocks but gives it one star... I rest my case.

The only two star. Everything else is four or five.

Pros: Its a neat design and has an illuminated fan in the middle.

Cons: Not that great a performer.. sure it works and all but for how big it is and how much it weighs it should do a lot more.

Other Thoughts: Get something else if you want better performance.

I am asuming that he put way too much thermal paste and has no idea what he is talking about. There are no air coolers that outperform this thing.

haha yea.. I have a question foothead. The heatsink is GIGANTIC!! its freaking HUGE! how does it not beak the mobo wen its hanging on it like that?? i dont understand that

Back
Top Bottom