Massive quake jolts Chile; tsunami warning issued

i think Lennox ment...

that it would be cool to watch a tsunami hit, but hope that no one got hurt or any damage.

kinda like to see... a baby 3ft Tsunami would be kinda cool?

i think Lennox ment...

that it would be cool to watch a tsunami hit, but hope that no one got hurt or any damage.

kinda like to see... a baby 3ft Tsunami would be kinda cool?

Yeah. I love natural disasters. I didn't want people to die!!

With natural disasters tends to come death.

Call this ignorant or not, but I never watch the news anyway. I only ever hear of things from forums, and whatever I see on the web from passing. I just don't like to know what disasters are going on, because that is all there ever is on the news, and I'd rather live in the unknown, so I don't worry about things left right and centre...

I can completely understand where you're coming from. I also am fascinated with the power of mother nature. Just last month we had a Winter storm brew up some Severe Weather that ended up spawning a Tornado a mile away from me. For once I was somewhat scared. Living in Los Angeles I'm not used to 100mph winds, destructive hail, blinding rains, Deafening thunder, etc....Mother nature was angry, Very angry. However I was the idiot on the front porch watching everything perspire..

This is no exception. Millions tuned into the news to watch in amazement, a Tsunami slam into Hawaii..however I think something interesting to note here, It's not just thousands, millions of US residents tuning in to watch the oceans force slam into a US island, It's the thousands of "Residents" of Hawaii that live there that were also rushing to some point of the shore to watch in amazement themselves.

In regards to the Tsunami yesterday it did have some "different" effects on parts of the west coast..In particular it sucked some of our ports somewhat dry to where boats and ships could not pull into port and dock. There are a few videos on Youtube that show a cove in Hilo, That has an awesome time lapse that shows the effects of a Tsunami. In the end, Peoples prayers were answered and there were no reports of damage.

Haiti only got a 7.0 but had some of the worst damage out of any earthquake I've ever seen or heard about. Chile, on the other hand, got an 8.8

The Chile earthquake was hundreds of times more powerful according to the Richter Scale. It's just sad to see that because of the poverty in Haiti, more people were lost. As it was seen with Chile, the extreme loss of life in Haiti could have been prevented.

Big differences with Haiti and Chile..Most Haitians don't know what an Earthquake is, Where as Chileans know the drill all too well... Chile had the worlds largest earthquake in 1960 which measured a 9.5. Since then Chile has VERY strict building codes, Know where to go, what to avoid during earthquakes as they frequently happen in the area. Chile buildings are built to move with the earthquakes where as in Haiti the very poorly built buildings are resistant to any movement let alone a 7.0. Lastly the soil of Haiti is MUCH different than Chile. The USGS said the best way to describe the soil in Haiti is "Jello". So you get a good shaker that is only going to amplify the shaking.

One last thing, When the USGS addressed the question of "Shaking" with both the Haiti and Chile quake..Here's something interesting. While the Haiti quake maxxed out the charts in terms of shaking at "Extreme", The MEGATHRUST quake in Chile only registered "Severe" which is two places behind what Haiti experienced. Note, the Chile quake was approximately 501 times stronger in energy.

Back
Top Bottom