New Dual Core Processor, but will it fit my MoBo?

shifty421

Solid State Member
Hey guys currently I have a few questions. Right now I have a P4 single core processor and want to step it up to a dual core. Problem is I don't know if it will fit my motherboard. My computer was bought in 2003 and still has the original board. I looked up my service tag and I think this is the Mobo:

Processor,80532,3.0G,512, 800 Front Side Bus,Socket N

I don't even know if they make dual cores with that socket anymore. I'm guessing they don't but want to be sure. If not, what mobo would you guys recommend that preferably is under 100$?

Thanks a lot.

The Computer model is a Dell Dimension XPS. It doesn't say any other specific model number in the service tag info. As for the mobo I'm using Belarc advisor and this is what it says:

Board: Dell Computer Corp.
Bus Clock: 800 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A03 09/19/2003

Thanks again.

Socket N = Socket 478

Did they do dual core Socket 478 CPU's? I know the single core Extremes have HT. The OP is prpbably running a P4 3.0Ghz (Northwood) non HT CPU.

EDIT:

I reckon the best is going to be the Intel P4 EE (Gallatin) 3.2Ghz or 3.4Ghz.

Socket N = Socket 478

Did they do dual core Socket 478 CPU's? I know the single core Extremes have HT. The OP is prpbably running a P4 3.0Ghz (Northwood) non HT CPU.

EDIT:

+1, the N stands for Pentium 4 "Northwood", I would just do what foothead suggested, "if possible", if not, do what Remeniz suggested...

Socket N = Socket 478

EDIT:

So that would fit my mobo? I opened my computer and the two numbers on the board were:

AA C37257-606 and
CN-0F2905-48112-392-0067

Also, do you guys have a recommendation for a mobo that would could go with the Athlon x2 that foothead suggested?

Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom