How to overclock???

JerryB1

Baseband Member
:eek: How do you overclock?
I have had computers for many years but am new to working on them myself, other than adding memory.
I just replaced a 1200 AMD Sempron with an AMD Phenom Triple Core processor. Very impressed with the performance gained.
Also just added a new video card with success.

I take it that overclocking is a way to tweak the performance???

Yup. Basically, you take what your system is capable at OEM spec and push it further. It's normally very easy and pretty safe if you have good help and don't fool with settings you haven't researched or have been told to change by someone who is experienced.

Yea.

An overclock is increasing the clock speed of the critical components in a computer to increase performance.

If a CPU can compute 'X' per clock cycle then increasing the clock cycle increases 'X' computes.

Yea.

An overclock is increasing the clock speed of the critical components in a computer to increase performance.

If a CPU can compute 'X' per clock cycle then increasing the clock cycle increases 'X' computes.

I think he's talking about overclocking his GPU actually.

If that's the case, then it's much easier than the CPU. Check it out on youtube, they'll show you exactly how to do it. It's a simple program called uh...... Riv...something... the name is right on the tip of my tongue. Riveratuner? I dunno, someone here will know exactly what I'm talking about and will probably correct me.

Anyway, when someone does correct me, get that program, and it's very easy to overclock your gpu, just a bit time consuming as you should only be adjusting it a little bit at a time so as not to fry it.

Frying a video card through overclocking is very difficult. You don't need to worry about that unless you start messing with voltages.

Back
Top Bottom