Help out a guy? :D

You still don't get what I am saying lol...

The RAM is twice as fast. It still isn't being utilized to its potential, but it can handle things twice as fast if they are thrown at it all of a sudden.

It kinda depends on the memory clocks for gaming. If it is uber slow, like 800 MHz, there will be a difference. Not a huge one but there is one. If its more like 1600 MHz and has ok timings, it won't really matter. It still does if you try to open big files, transfer data, etc.

It makes load times faster in big games, I have noticed.

You still don't get what I am saying lol...

The RAM is twice as fast. It still isn't being utilized to its potential, but it can handle things twice as fast if they are thrown at it all of a sudden.

It kinda depends on the memory clocks for gaming. If it is uber slow, like 800 MHz, there will be a difference. Not a huge one but there is one. If its more like 1600 MHz and has ok timings, it won't really matter. It still does if you try to open big files, transfer data, etc.

It makes load times faster in big games, I have noticed.

but we're not talking about theoretical transfer rates here, when suggesting things to people we should use real world expectations and applications, the "uber slow" memory (DDR2 6400) that you're talking about is more than fast enough for 90%+ of the users out there and is probably overkill for 90% of Intel users...

in the real world, theory and practical application don't always mesh, the actual real world difference between the speed of the two modes that can be applied to most people's systems...

single channel vs dual channel

Tom's Hardware Synthetic Benchmarks

Tom's Hardware Audio/Visual Benchmarks

these are performance figures that people can actually use if they need to make a decision whether to buy a stick of 2GB DDR2 or two 1GB sticks of the same DDR2, obviously price is the other important factor that they can use in making that decision, talking theory usually only confuses them more than they already are, especially because they can't see figures or benchmarks to compare their choices...

we could talk all day about theory, like "hey, PCIe 3.0 is right around the corner, wait until PCIe 3.0 motherboards come out, they'll have twice the bandwidth of PCIe 2.0", but for all practical purposes that wouldn't matter since there aren't any cards out right now that saturate the PCIe 2.0 bus and maybe only 1% of users ever will until PCIe 3.0 is released...

yes, dual channel mode is faster and the preferred mode for DDR or DDR2, is it twice as fast...? theoretically yes, when applied to real world systems and real world applications...? no, is it enough of a difference for someone on a budget who could spend half as much on one stick as they would for two sticks...? not really, especially for most users...

^ I agree, but usually buying 2 2GB sticks is cheaper than a single 4GB, and 2 1GBs costs within a couple dollars of a 2GB.

It would not be worth buying twice as much RAM for though.

lol quite the debate there you guys have but to me it seems you are trying to say the same thing but in different ways. Then again what do I know lol. Anyways thanks for those 3 links. Even though i don't exactly understand what the graphs show but from I get is that dual channel is a bit better but its not on such a great scale that you can easily notice on a computer performance. After all the numbers on those charts weren't that much different.

but can somebody answer my previous question ^^ lol When building the computer from which part should I start, which sockets are good and which are bad, or it doesn't matter since you are looking at motherboard/processor performance in which case which are better ones?

You want an AM2+ (DDR2) or AM3 (DDR3) socket for AMD, LGA 775 1156 or 1366 for intel

I would go with an AM3 build. Do you have a specific budget?

agreed, you'll get more for your money with an AMD build, and this is coming from a strictly Intel guy...

well I don't have a budge or the limit on it. I plan to buy parts whenever I collect enough for it. It might take me couple months to buy all the parts but it doesn't matter. I want to build a good one lol. but if i had to estimate up to 1200$ for the tower max. I believe I can build a pretty good one with this money.

Back
Top Bottom