Need help picking out a vcard

^ That is the one that has all the fan failures.

I would go with the Sapphire. XFX is doing some really shady things lately.

why the Sapphire...? the % of 1 and 2 egg reviews is higher with the Sapphire than the HIS, and now that you mention it, the XFX seems like the best buy of the three, considering the customer reviews and it's only $60 shipped, what do you mean they're doing shady things lately...?

dude, that's twice his budget...

:confused:

he may be able to go over by a little bit, but I doubt he wants to spend twice the amount he was planning to, plus the power requirements for that card are way more than his psu can handle...

Explain

You have said that in other posts to.

I am Curious.

Well the biggest thing is that they are cheaping out on their cards.

They are making custom pcb cards with cheaper parts that the reference ones, and they are even leaving off crossfire plugs and things.

The newer XFX 5770s only have one crossfire plug, so you cannot tri- or quadfire.

Their newer cards seem to be less reliable than reference models.

dude, that's twice his budget...

:confused:

he may be able to go over by a little bit, but I doubt he wants to spend twice the amount he was planning to, plus the power requirements for that card are way more than his psu can handle...

Haha yeah you're right! I forgot how much his budget was, you wouldn't need a PSU too good to run that, I'd imagine that you could let that GPU run on an 400w PSU.

Haha yeah you're right! I forgot how much his budget was, you wouldn't need a PSU too good to run that, I'd imagine that you could let that GPU run on an 400w PSU.

dude, he has a 300w Bestec psu, he needs a card that won't push it anywhere near it's limit...

I should have mentioned I'm from canada.

So on newegg.ca (as opposed to .com) The total comes to $83.17 after shipping and taxes on the XFX.

Well the biggest thing is that they are cheaping out on their cards.

They are making custom pcb cards with cheaper parts that the reference ones, and they are even leaving off crossfire plugs and things.

The newer XFX 5770s only have one crossfire plug, so you cannot tri- or quadfire.

Their newer cards seem to be less reliable than reference models.

The one I linked is a reference design. There is a non-reference one as well, and the difference in them is pretty clear. It'll work fine. Either way I think the warranty is worth it, yeah?

I should have mentioned I'm from canada.

So on newegg.ca (as opposed to .com) The total comes to $83.17 after shipping and taxes on the XFX.

That's a problem. You're not going to get much for $50 CA....

I'd consider buying a used XFX card from somewhere. They have a double lifetime warranty, which means that as long as you're only the second owner, you still get coverage.

I don't need to get much, that's what I keep tryin' to say. Right now, I'm on a geforce4 mx440 (64meg), and it runs WoW on lowest settings with about 15 fps. It won't take much more than that to get it running smoother. Even a 128 or 256 meg card would do. I just need something temporary for about 3 months, this card does not have to last, just something to scrape by with.

I'm thinkin maybe I'll just wait until I can somehow scrape together the $83. Maybe with that card I won't even have to buy the brand new system in 3 months.

With that card, and my current specs, do you think I'd be able to run Dragon Age Origins on max settings with 60 fps? I'm thinkin I would also need a RAM and cpu upgrade too though. Ugh.

The spec page is conservative. His current processor along with a 4650 will be unlikely to top 200W at peak usage. The CPU + GPU would be 120W total TDP.

The statement in red also applies to the spec sheet for the PSU. Do the math, it's normally under the specified amounts for OEM or cheap PSU's. So they can upsell easier.

You would probably need to spend more like $200 to max it at 60fps.

Try for a 4550 maybe? Or a 9500 GT, they're really cheap refurbished.

Dragon Age is not a very graphic intensive game compared to other recent games. If an 8600gt can run it at 60 fps on medium settings, I can't imagine it would cost $200 for a card that'll run it on max, considering the 8600gt is like $40.

Back
Top Bottom