Nvidia recommendation.

aschmidt

Solid State Member
Hey everyone. I'm looking to build a new desktop PC, considering all I have right now is my Vaio laptop. So far I've figured everything out except for the video card. Now, my system is based around the Intel i7 CPU, and I've been told that Nvidia works best with Intel. With that in mind, with a video card budget of ~$300-400, which video card(s) would you recommend? My prospective system specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel i7-920 Bloomfield

MB: ASUS P6X58D

RAM: Corsair Dominator 6GB (3 x 2GB)

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

HD: x2 150GB WD Raptor drives

Extra HD: WD 640GB 7200RPM

Speakers: Logitech X-540 70W 5.1

Case: XClio Windtunnel Advanced

CPU fan: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Keyboard:
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard

Monitor: Asus 24" 2ms HDMI Widescreen LCD

Approximate total w/o video card:
$2,100

Also, if any of you have suggestions on changes to the system outside of the video card setup, please don't be afraid to speak up. If I'm going to spend this much on a system, I'd prefer it be as fast as possible for the budget I've set. Thank you so much in advance for the help!

Right on! I appreciate the input. There is a decent list of 5870 cards on that link you sent me though. Which would you recommend? Does the rest of my setup seem alright?

if you have a microcenter close to you, the 920 is $199 there.

the x-540's are extremely overpriced right now. I got mine for $80 with free shipping. Its $88 one newegg plus $15 for shipping. GO on logitec's website and its $99 with free shipping anywhere to U.S.

but here is an even better deal. $80 @ Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Logitec...ece)/7951139.p?id=1152836586066&skuId=7951139

I would spend an extra couple bucks just to upgrade to the 1tb hard drive.

Do not buy XFX 5xxx cards. They are doing some really crazy stuff to them.

Get a sapphire. The only reason anyone buys XFX is the warranty. Sapphire is ATI's preferred manufacturer.

Also, get a 5850 unless you are playing at ridiculous resolutions (beyond 1920x1200) It will save you $100 and performs right behind the 5870.

I heard Sapphire is ATI's in-house manufacturer, I can't confirm this though.

I don't think they are. I think they are just ATI's preferred manufacturer.

But that would explain a few things... like why they were the only ones to make the 4850 x2, and why someone I saw on OCN received a 100% reference 4870 x2 from sapphire RMA.

On second thought, you are probably right.

ATI is ATI's in house manufacturer, but I think that Sapphire is definitely ATI's preferred distributor, and although I have heard some pretty bad things about their customer service, I've never had to actually use it for my 4850...

also, the thing that get's people hooked with XFX is the double lifetime warranty, this alone brings the resale value way up for those that buy the latest and greatest, then a few months later sell said "used to be" latest and greatest so they can get the latest and greatest, etc., etc., if buying used, people prefer a card where the warranty can be transferred, at least here in the US you can, I think XFX has a different policy for cards bought outside of the US IIRC...

Back
Top Bottom