Headset problems

cldd5678

Baseband Member
Hey all. I really need to stop buying cheap headphones. Two sub-$35 pairs have failed on me in the last 4 or 5 months, both due to junky wiring and the left headphone going out. My one right now just started it on me, but I can sorta fix it so I can live with it until I get a new one. I don't think it's my fault. I run over the wire with my chair very infrequently, but other than that I've never dropped them or anything like that.

Anyway, I'm tired of making bad decisions on these things, so can anyone recommend a good non-USB headset that will not fail on me in a matter of two months and has at least decent sound quality. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

haha yea i always trip or run over the wire with my chair also.. lol... i go over like 3 headsets a year.... but dont buy the gamecom 777. its a DECENT headset

pros:
-cheap
-good quality
-mic is nice and good quality

cons:
-uncomfy
-too big looks like a shooting range earmuffs
-the fabric that goes around your ear irratetes it
-the fabric gets smelly

haha yea i always trip or run over the wire with my chair also.. lol... i go over like 3 headsets a year.... but dont buy the gamecom 777. its a DECENT headset

pros:
-cheap
-good quality
-mic is nice and good quality

cons:
-uncomfy
-the fabric gets smelly

the biggest mistake a lot of gamers make is buying into the whole "gaming headset" gimmick, and basically that's all it is, a gimmick, they overcharge for a set of headphones with a usually crappy mic, the build quality is actually pretty poor and the headphones aren't good for anything but gaming because of the sound quality, get a good set of cans and a clip on mic and you'll really notice the difference in the sound quality...

I started with the RAZER Barracuda HP-1s and thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread, EAX, built in mic, OMFGBLUELEDS!!1!1!1!, etc., then I tried my JVC HA RX900s after reading up on the internet about what headset/phones were the best for gaming but didn't cost and arm and leg and these fit the bill perfectly for gaming AND music, they aren't the best out there like Audio Technicas, or high end Sennheisers, but they have comparable sound for much less, these are basically the bang for buck king of headphones...

JVC HA RX900

yes they're big, but they are supposed to be to cancel out all outside sounds so you can concentrate on the directional positioning of sound in the game, a crucial but underrated element in FPS games, one guy even accused me of running a wall hack because he thought I could "see" him behind a wall, when I really just heard him shuffling around on the gravel inside the barn...

RX700s are actually better for music and even cost less, but the 900s have a bigger soundstage which helps with larger maps in games, add a Zalman clip on mic and you're good to go for less than the cost of most "gaming" headsets, the JVC 700/900s have been called the "poor man's Audio Technica 700/900" because they cost so much less, just my .02, but if you do some research you'll see that I'm hardly alone...

one thing though is that with any good headphones they sound pretty bad out of the box and need some "burn in" time, mine took a few weeks to burn in, but once they did and I put the Barracudas back on for a session it seemed like there was a layer of water between the headset and my ears, that's how muffled the Barracudas sounded and how much clearer the 900s sounded...

-uncomfy
-the fabric gets smelly

Im pretty sure thats an opinion... not fact

and they are comfortable, an who cares if thats what it looks like, if your on a PC, it shouldnt matter wtf it looks like..

doesn't irritate your ear...

and maybe if you cleaned yours it wouldnt smell.

Opinions Countered with Opinions

Im pretty sure thats an opinion... not fact

and they are comfortable, an who cares if thats what it looks like, if your on a PC, it shouldnt matter wtf it looks like..

doesn't irritate your ear...

and maybe if you cleaned yours it wouldnt smell.

Opinions Countered with Opinions

haha i take a shower ever morning budd. Maybe cuz ur old and your head is all rough n shit... that proll why its so comfy

the biggest mistake a lot of gamers make is buying into the whole "gaming headset" gimmick, and basically that's all it is, a gimmick, they overcharge for a set of headphones with a usually crappy mic, the build quality is actually pretty poor and the headphones aren't good for anything but gaming because of the sound quality, get a good set of cans and a clip on mic and you'll really notice the difference in the sound quality...

I started with the RAZER Barracuda HP-1s and thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread, EAX, built in mic, OMFGBLUELEDS!!1!1!1!, etc., then I tried my JVC HA RX900s after reading up on the internet about what headset/phones were the best for gaming but didn't cost and arm and leg and these fit the bill perfectly for gaming AND music, they aren't the best out there like Audio Technicas, or high end Sennheisers, but they have comparable sound for much less, these are basically the bang for buck king of headphones...

JVC HA RX900

yes they're big, but they are supposed to be to cancel out all outside sounds so you can concentrate on the directional positioning of sound in the game, a crucial but underrated element in FPS games, one guy even accused me of running a wall hack because he thought I could "see" him behind a wall, when I really just heard him shuffling around on the gravel inside the barn...

RX700s are actually better for music and even cost less, but the 900s have a bigger soundstage which helps with larger maps in games, add a Zalman clip on mic and you're good to go for less than the cost of most "gaming" headsets, the JVC 700/900s have been called the "poor man's Audio Technica 700/900" because they cost so much less, just my .02, but if you do some research you'll see that I'm hardly alone...

one thing though is that with any good headphones they sound pretty bad out of the box and need some "burn in" time, mine took a few weeks to burn in, but once they did and I put the Barracudas back on for a session it seemed like there was a layer of water between the headset and my ears, that's how muffled the Barracudas sounded and how much clearer the 900s sounded...

wow they look amazing!. I would buy it but it doesnt have a mic.... ;(

It can't be USB because then there was no point to me buying my current sound card. Also I forgot to mention that I ideally wouldn't want to spend more than $100 or $120 Canadian on this.

@wol-va-rine: That seems like a viable option, and I think I found the Zalman mic you were talking about on NCIX. Is this it?

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=13863&vpn=ZM-MIC1&manufacture=ZALMAN TECH

If it is, does the mic pick up a lot of background noise?

Thanks for the help guys.

Back
Top Bottom