Need help picking out a vcard

Archlvt

In Runtime
So, a couple weeks back, my computer broke down, I took it in, had it restored, cleaned, fresh windows installation, but apprently my vcard was fried.

Now, I am on an EXTREMELY tight budget, I actually have no money to spare at all, but I'm gonna have to do odd jobs around town for a few bucks here n there, sad maybe, but I'm out of options.

What I had before was an nvidia 8600gt 256mb, but I would prefer to not get this same card again, looking for something maybe a little better, but in the same price range. Obviously, some cards have better bang for their buck than others.

Now here's my problem, I know NOTHING about PSUs except that if it's not strong enough to handle the vcard, the vcard will poop out on you.

Since I don't know anything about it, I'll just copy down exactly what's on the psu:

Bestec

Model: ATX0300D5WB Rev.:X3
Input: 100-127V~8A , 200-240V~4A 50/60Hz
Output: +12V - / 18A -12V - / 0.8A
300W MAX +5V - / 22A +5VSB - / 2A
+3V - / 17A
+5V& +3.3V 160W MAX

What I need to know is the best (or one of the best) video cards that will run on this power supply, and cost a maximum of $50 (It's okay if it goes over by a couple bucks with tax or whatever)

If it's important, my other specs are:

Intel core 2 duo E6550 2.33ghz
2GB RAM
My current card is a Geforce 4 mx440 (lol, I know, I had it kickin around so I used it after my 8600gt fried)
windows vista home premium 32-bit.

I'm on a serious budget, but as you can see, I'm pretty much bottlenecked here. I need a card that will run Starcraft 2, MMOs like WoW, LOTRO, WAR, etc. It doesn't need to run dragon age or any of the newer games (although my 8600gt ran it decently on medium graphics).

I'm not really in a financial situation where I can just do my own research and go from there, cause if the new card gets fried, then I'm stuck with the geforce4 mx440 for a few months until I get a new rig, which won't be very fun.

Thanks in advance!

It's rated for 300w with 18A on the +12. From what I can see, that 4670 is suggested for use in a system with a 400w+ PSU.

Thank you for the correction. Either way, 400+ watts are pretty much required. I had the model number wrong, but the facts were read from the 4650 page.

edited my post

The spec page is conservative. His current processor along with a 4650 will be unlikely to top 200W at peak usage. The CPU + GPU would be 120W total TDP.

*slowly and carefully peeks his head out and takes a step forward, expecting a landmine to blow up*

....So.... The 4650 IS okay?

Also, you say the second one is more well-built, so is there any relevance to the first one being posted?

Unless your motherboard, fans, and drives can somehow take up 180W, then yes it'll be fine. The 4650 only uses three more watts than the 8600GT.

They don't seem to be getting very good reviews. Fan failure? Overheating? Can anyone else Yay or Nay these cards?

It's not that I don't trust ya or anything but.... If this card doesn't work, I get to twiddle my thumbs for 2-3 months or play starcraft 1 :S (I just moved to a city where I don't know anyone and there's no work here, though I AM looking. Just an fyi before people tell me to go out in the sun or something lol).

Back
Top Bottom