And you think your car gets bad mileage?

superman22x

Golden Master
Think again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGTbQuhhluY&feature=player_embedded

And that's just 1 of 8 cylinders.

Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1-1/2 gallons of nitromethane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced. (note: Nitro M weights 10# per gal vs about 6# for gasoline)

If you are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter 'twin-turbo' powered Corvette Z06. Over a mile up the road, a top fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and pass the dragster at an honest 200 mph. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment. The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds, the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1,320 foot long race course.

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;1011508 said:
If I'm not mistaken this isn't the first time you've posted this here.
I posted the acceleration thing before, I just found this video though, and thought I would share.

Holy cow.. that really shows the true volume consumed. I knew they used that much, just interesting to see it actually displayed like that. Cool find.

I wouldn't even want 8000 HP even if I could. For me, the fun is more in the turns.

Those engines are incredible though.

Top Fuel is probably the only form of drag racing I actually enjoy simply because of how ridiculous those engines are.

Top Fuel is probably the only form of drag racing I actually enjoy simply because of how ridiculous those engines are.

The only thing that sucks is that the races are only 5 seconds long. I've been to a top fuel drag event before, you spend more time watching them clean the track than race.

Yeah, it's one of those things I just like watching the highlights of. Same with Formula Drift.

Back
Top Bottom