Need advice for new laptop.

game45165

Solid State Member
I don't know too much about computers so I'll give this my best shot.

I'm getting a new laptop for college, and essentially it just needs to be quick for tasks such as surfing the web. I don't need a high end gaming laptop like Alien Ware, just something to get the job done. Now I've been looking at Dell laptops so far, and I think I'm going to get one of their Inspiron's ( if anyone has any better suggestion please let me know). It seems they have some options for faster processors like the i3, i5, and i7. Do I need something like that for college??? Again I won't be playing any games, I just don't want my laptop to be sluggish.

i highly recommend to avoid Dell.

Check out some nice ASUS notebooks.

What do you intend to do with this laptop? For pretty much everything, an i3 will be sufficient. For uber multitasking, an i5 or i7 become necessary. If you are in like architecture classes where you will be using CAD and the likes, you need a desktop workstation.

Hmmm I'll check out those laptops.
I'm not planning too much multi-tasking. I'll just be using the internet a lot for research, but apart from that I won't be doing anything too complex.

I'm looking for a 15 or 16 inch.
I also had another question, between the Core 2 Duo processor and the Core i3 processor, which is better?

And in your opinion why do you think Asus is better than Dell? Just wondering because I assumed Dell was a good brand.
Thanks again.

Dell uses garbage parts, and they have some of the least reliable laptops you can buy. ASUS uses high quality parts, stands behind their product, and they seem to be extremely reliable.

It depends as far as i3 vs. c2d. The i3 is better in general, but of course, the 3.16GHz C2D would be a lot better than a 2GHz i3. They are really not that far apart in performance, so I recommend you go with a C2D because you could get a better laptop overall for the same price with a C2D.

Also' you might want to consider a smaller lcd. If you are hauling it around, a 14 inch laptop will be much easier to deal with than a 16. 16 inch laptops typically weigh something like 50% more, which makes quite a big difference when its a school computer.

Oh I see well thanks a bunch because I had no idea.

I guess I'll look for some Asus laptops then. I do have a carrying case for my laptop that I would use but I do have a 17' and that thing feels like a brick.

I guess my last question would be do you recommend any specific type of Asus? My price range is from $600 up to $800, around there.

Go for 14"

The one I posted really is an amazing deal. I say look around a bit, but unless the specs are significantly better (they won't be in that price range) you should buy it.

It doesn't really matter which one. Just don't get like an Eee or one of their gaming notebooks or a DTR.

Be sure it has a DVD drive too. ASUS makes some without, more for use as netbooks, but retailers try to pass them off as full on laptops sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom