Your favorite Linux based/Non-commercial OS?

ohm55

In Runtime
Your favorite Linux based/Non-commercial OS and Display Manager?

Read http://computerforums.org/showpost.php?p=1010875&postcount=5 before polling or posting
I personally like EasyPeasy. Since I am a netbook user, I fall on my knees for this stuff. Another good one is freeDOS.

Gnome enviroment is a favorite of mine, as its original, while KDE is also liked by me, but looks like a windows ripoff.

Some of those options don't make much sense. Gnome and KDE for instance are not operating systems, they're desktop environments...

For me, as I'm sure it does for many, it depends entirely on the task in hand - OS's are like tools, and sometimes each one is suited to a different purpose.

Yah, I second that. Gnome and KDE are desktop environments, not an OS.

And why isn't Fedora there! Psst, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, and NetBSD fall under the Unix category. Also, I think Debian and Ubuntu should be separated. Yes, Ubuntu is based on Debian but the userbase is very different.

Some of those options don't make much sense. Gnome and KDE for instance are not operating systems, they're desktop environments...
I know that. I said whats your favorite Linux based/non commercial OS, and GNOME/KDE Enviroments are up there for the ones based with those display managers. Basically, if there is another OS not htere but it runs GNOME or KDE, they have the choice to select it.

But yes, I will take those down if you really want me to.

Psst, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, and NetBSD fall under the Unix category. Also, I think Debian and Ubuntu should be separated. Yes, Ubuntu is based on Debian but the userbase is very different.
Yes, but they are all different totally flavours of UNIX, and Mac OSX isnt non-commercial, so it doesnt go here. And the userbase may be different, but it still comes directly from the root of it. Almost everything looks and feels exactly like debian, with some exceptions

And the userbase may be different, but it still comes directly from the root of it. Almost everything looks and feels exactly like debian, with some exceptions
I'm not done picking on you :cool:

It probably looks and feels exactly like Debian because they both use Gnome.

I'm not done picking on you :cool:

Your correct at that. Everything looks and feels the same with the same manager, unless you modify it. Sheesh.

Well, if we stripped it of its Display Manager, I get the same interface as debian. Of course, thats because I just looked at the shell (not speaking as in the actual OS Shell, more like a coconut shell) of it.

Your correct at that. Everything looks and feels the same with the same manager, unless you modify it. Sheesh.

Well, if we stripped it of its Display Manager, I get the same interface as debian. Of course, thats because I just looked at the shell (not speaking as in the actual OS Shell, more like a coconut shell) of it.
Can a european swallow carry a coconut? or maybe a african swallow?

...What does that have to do with- Both are swallows, so both can carry it.

If we're saying all Linux distro's running Gnome or KDE feel exactly the same then we're onto pretty dangerous territory! Anyone installed Gentoo with Gnome and then used it? It's a damn site different to Ubuntu...

Back
Top Bottom