Monitor cables help

punk_ass_sissy

Solid State Member
The screen on my toshiba laptop broke. I used a VGA cable to hook it up to an external monitor, but I can't handle the simple resoultion. The only port I have on my laptop is VGA. Is there any cable or way i can improve the resolution to have a decent looking screen to work from? Much thanks

The external screen shows the picture but only in VGA resultion (640x480). My laptop has only a VGA port. There any type of converter or cable I can use for better resolution with a VGA port?

If you use a better resolution screen, i.e a monitor that is capable of outputting at higher resolutions, you should be able to go higher with the VGA cable.
That isn't your limiting factor.

If you are outputting to a regular standard definition television screen, that is your issue right there. Even regular standard resolutions don't tend to look too good on a TV.

If you had a HDTV though, with a VGA port, or a computer monitor, it'd be much improved.

Every VGA cable is capable of displaying 2048x1536 (1536i/p - Based on the display device).

This may sound insulting (and I don't mean it in that way at all) but have you gone into the properties and tried changing the output resolution?

I'm not very computer literate, so don't worry about insulting. When I try to change the resolution the screen goes black and the little part of whats left on my laptop screen lights up instead

Make sure you have selected the monitor you are putting out to. If you are on XP, in the box just click on the monitor with the 2, then set as "extend my screen to this monitor" then click "use this monitor as my primary" Then jump back to monitor 1 and uncheck "extend my screen to this monitor".

Back
Top Bottom