Building conditions??!

Yea gotta say that some here are going OTT about this.

Any flat surface will do. If I remember to do it I will touch metal pipework, the kettle or something metal that's plugged in. A few times during the build I guess only if I move around a lot. There's times I haven't bothered and my rig hasn't suffered cause of it.

If your really paranoid then install the PSU first and plug it into the mains. Then you have an earthed metal case to discharge the static. Simple.

What I do is just constantly ground myself by touching the metal screw on an electrical outlet or light switch to release any static electricity built up in me.

Ok what you're planning to do you'll fry your PC.
NO YOU CAN'T PUT YOUR MOTHERBOARD ON THE CARPET!!
Have you ever slid around on carpet with socks and touched someone else? Zapppp.
You can fry your motherboard and components by shocking them with a zapp so small you won't even feel it.
Do this. Take off your socks, and I recommend (Don't laugh) working in undies so you touch as little clothing as possible. First take out your case and set it on a table in a room with no carpet. Touch a non-painted part of your case. When your motherboard comes, it's in a box and in that box when you take it out it is in a special wrapping. Take it out of the wrapping and SET IT ON THE WRAPPING!!! Touch your unpainted part of case again. Now put on latex gloves. Take out your processor gently and line up the arrow with the arrow on the slot on the motherboard and drop it in. Now if you bought special thermal paste you gotta rub off the old thermal paste with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. Then apply a pea sized amount of paste and spread it around. Then put the heatsink on. Now ditch the latex gloves. Get your RAM and put it on the motherboard. (If you got graphics card set that in too) Take out your Power Supply and put it in the case and screw it in. Get all the wires out of the way. Touch non-painted part again. Then get your motherboard with the CPU heatsink and RAM and put it into your case. But before you do that line up the holes of the motherboard, and put spreaders in the appropriate holes of where your motherboard holes will be. Then set your motherboard on the spreaders and screw it in. Now put your Hard drive in and your Disk Drive in. And now comes the long and tedious part. Plugging in all the wires into their correct spots and making sure it looks nice :)
After this is done connect all fans and everything to the motherboard and you'll be set.
I'm only giving you a general overview of what to do. If you need specifics on how to do certain things, youtube it :D

o_O. Don't post a YT build log video if you followed the "strip down to your undergarments" advice. lol

I purchased an anti-static wrist band for my first build and soon learned it was fairly unnecessary. Just ground yourself again any time you get up from where you were working. I work on my computer on carpet all the time. You have to be a bit more careful during Winter as the air is quite dry. Just make sure you are grounded. That's as simple as it gets.

Back
Top Bottom