SSD steal!!!!!

and in my case thats what is going to happen
so to me 10MBps wont make a difference
and not enough of a difference to make me pay twice as much as what i did

Just curious... my RAID0 array is as fast as many SSDs (160MB/s avg)

would I even notice the difference because of reduced seek times?

now that difference may be noticeable, that would be a 33% increase in speed so even not considering the seek times it may be worth it...

now that difference may be noticeable, that would be a 33% increase in speed so even not considering the seek times it may be worth it...

I don't want a boot drive... If I'm going SSD its all or none.

What I am wondering is how much the seek times would make a difference if the SSD was the same read/write.

I'm not going SSD till they are significantly cheaper. When that happen, I'l RAID0 four of them for epic performance with a 1TB HDD as backup.

I NEED 320GB minimum and I would pay max $100 each.... we're getting there.

EDIT: I will also have a crap drive.... videos and such. Maybe 500GB or one of my current 250s.

I'd personally use External Hardrives for Storage and what not. Makes it easy to transport your stuff around and i suppose it's good for backup purposes.

I'd personally use External Hardrives for Storage and what not. Makes it easy to transport your stuff around and i suppose it's good for backup purposes.

Possibly when USB3 comes out and gets bigger, but I much prefer to keep things in the case.

Right now, not many people have eSATA so there isn't much of a point. Firewire seems dead too now that apple dropped it off their macbooks.

I'm not going SSD till they are significantly cheaper. When that happen, I'l RAID0 four of them for epic performance with a 1TB HDD as backup.

I NEED 320GB minimum and I would pay max $100 each.... we're getting there.

EDIT: I will also have a crap drive.... videos and such. Maybe 500GB or one of my current 250s.

check this out before dropping some major coin on four drives, you may just want one, [H] SSD review, scaling is horrible with 4 drives at boot up (at least with these Corsair units), actually adding about 6 seconds to the time needed to boot up with four SSDs instead of booting up with just one, do other programs act accordingly...? IDK, they really didn't cover that in the review, but my guess would be yes...

It's probably best to only use an SSD for a boot drive. Normal activity like PF and other caches put a lot of wear and tear on the NAND cells where it is best to use a HDD for that. I would have gone with a much larger SSD but 30GB is all you need for an OS and basic programs.

Back
Top Bottom