Inserting an old Graphics card to a new Motherboard

vince2682

Solid State Member
Hi new to the forums so please be gentle :)

I know its been asked before but....

I have this old Graphics card PowerColor 9550 256MB 128BIT
Graphics Engine RADEON 9550
Video Memory 256 MB DDR2
Engine Clock 250 MHz
Memory Clock 200 MHz x 2
Memory Interface 128 bit
Fits into an AGP8x slot if i remember

will it work with a mother board i'm getting the MSI GF615M-P33?
this has PCI express slot which i remember being backward compatible with the old AGP. specs are http://www.msicomputer.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=171&prod_no=1815

other questions:
nothing bad is going to happen to either piece right? and would the onboard graphics card be a better option?

NO! You CANNOT put an AGP card in a PCI or PCI-E slot or any which way. They are NOT compatible. Please don't attempt it. They are completely different.

You can get a decent PCIe card for $30-$50....

PCIe isn't compatible with AGP. Different versions of AGP were backwards-compatible with other AGP versions, I think, but that's about it.

Not something that you want to try unless you hate your computer enough to destroy it trying to make it fit. You can easily get that good of a card down at your local computer shop for $60. Go spend the money and you will be much happier when your computer still works.

Why? An AGP cards is just too old, infact, PCIe cards are much, MUCH cheaper than a normal AGP card.

For ex. HD 4650 PCIe > HD 4650 AGP See the price difference? I suggest you get the 4650 :D (This is Canadian, I don't know about *.com :confused: )

Hope I helped ;D

~EnviousX

Back
Top Bottom