Upgrade or Save up?

Huh.

Newegg still has 8800's (or is it tigerdirect?) but theyre $100 still.

ATI usually keeps their cards going for quite a while (you can still buy the 3xxx series new) but they kinda die after a while because not many people buy them.

Huh... Looks like newegg still has 1 8800GT, and for a total of $77 after shipping. I did not know that.
8800GT SLI won't perform as well as an single 5770 will it?

I was looking at some benches, and the 8800GT SLI does beat the 4870 on some, and maybe even the 5770 on a couple. (On Anandtech)
An 8800GT for $77 isn't bad, especially since it seems like it's close to the performance of the 5770. Yeah the 5770 has DX11 and more future proof, but who knows, they might come out with an DX11.1 soon too.

I was told by somebody on this forum that my current PSU will support SLI and my setup. I checked how much it needed on peak on the extreme PSU calculator, and said I needed 359W total on 100% peak performance. Am I safe? I assume I might be pushing it a bit.
Is SLI even worth it in the end? I get mixed messages where it's great, or that it sucks so bad that it's better to just stick with one card (depending on the game obviously)

But then you could also Crossfire the 5770 later on and get even more performance. Seems like a better route to me.

They also overclock pretty well.

I could do that, but hard to CF when my mobo doesn't support. I have a feeling that when I do get a chance to get the right parts and stuff, I will be in the same position I am now.
The only way it seems I can CF is if I end up getting an new mobo and CPU (and maybe RAM) as I have a hard time trying to find an CF supported board that supports my current rig. I would totally get the 5770, but I can't find a x38/x48 mobo from a trusted seller. Well, I did find a couple on Newegg, but then I either need to get DDR3 ram, or get a sound card.

Back
Top Bottom