Why does my computer start lagging while I'm in the middle of a game?

GotSole

Beta member
Lately, my computer has been lagging every time i play a game (it would run smoothly when I first open it up, but after a couple of minutes my FPS drops from 60 to a mere 6 or 7) For example, I can play counter strike smoothly for about 10 minutes, then it would lag uncontrollably, making it IMPOSSIBLE to play since it drops to 6 FPS. Restarting the computer fixes the issue, but then it will lag again if i play a game (and only when i play a game. and even when i exit the game, i experience lag throughout the whole computer. browsing through files take forever to load and videos on youtube aren't watchable after this lag comes). I've set all the setting in my games to the lowest possible, as i don't think this should be the problem since my games were running really smoothly before this happened, and this started a couple of days ago out of no where. I haven't had any new software or anything installed. My internet is fine, I have DSL, even tho that shouldn't be the problem.

My CPU specs: (I'm using windows XP)
RAM: 1.37 GB
video card memory: 128 MB

like i said before, all my games ran smoothly before and ever since about 3 days ago, these sudden lag spikes are killing my game experiences... and this doesn't only happen when i play counter strike, this also happens when i play starcraft too..

what might be the problem? and if you guys need any additional information, i can edit this and add additional information if needed. I really need this problem fixed, thanks.

Depends what sort of game your playing but i would say upgrade the ram and graphics card.

It maybe the grapics card that makes it look laggy because the grapics card may not be able to keep up with the graphics that the game is trying to make.

or possibley your computer is overheating try adding another fan to your case?

Hope this helps...

Depends what sort of game your playing but i would say upgrade the ram and graphics card.

Hope this helps...

This happens when I play both counter strike and starcraft, and neither requires any more than like a couple hundred RAM.

Like i stated before.. I was able to play both games smoothly until recently, and that's when i started getting this huge lag while im in the middle of a game.

I have 1.37 GB of ram and 128 video card memory. that's more than enough to play starcraft at least (starcraft was made in 1998)

This happens when I play both counter strike and starcraft, and neither requires any more than like a couple hundred RAM.

Like i stated before.. I was able to play both games smoothly until recently, and that's when i started getting this huge lag while im in the middle of a game.

I have 1.37 GB of ram and 128 video card memory. that's more than enough to play starcraft at least (starcraft was made in 1998)

I would say that its overheating then, i notice this on my laptop when i play a game for about 30mins it gets really hot and slows down and over heats. The computer will lagg in heat because the CPU (processer) works better in cooler conditions.

Try adding some fans to youre computer...

Hope this helps

GPU - Graphics Card/Graphics Processor.

i'd second the overheating idea. Get a thermometer gadget or something so you can check your GPU temperature. My nvidia 8200M G 256MB on-board usually runs best at about 60 celcius. getting up over 100 usually slows it all down, and i drop for about 50FPS to 15-20FPS.

Back
Top Bottom