Making a computer.

On the other hand. Before there were machines to make machines, who built the first. It had to be possible. What the first handbuilt was, I'm not sure. Do a bit of googling and see what you can come up with on the first hand built comp and moreover, how it was done and if any blueprints were salvaged or digi-copied.

Man, I love your thinking!
like I said, the CPU and Power Supply is not going to be made by me, but looking online for designs and making them simpler (Without 5-foot-tall vacuum tubes as capacitors) is a good idea.

And who plays crysis? its not even open-source!

This may not be exactly what you are looking for but you can buy and build Apple I replica kits from Briel Computers. You get all the components and the PCB and assemble them. I've actually bumped into the owner of the company before at VCF East and he is a cool guy.

http://www.brielcomputers.com/store.html

I suppose you could also play with some micro-controllers.

good luck...

Fig1b.jpg

and btw, you may be as old as this guy by the time you finally complete your task, and of course then you'll have to put up with all the "hey, 1936 called and they want their computer back, lulz, lulz"...

This may not be exactly what you are looking for but you can buy and build Apple I replica kits from Briel Computers. You get all the components and the PCB and assemble them. I've actually bumped into the owner of the company before at VCF East and he is a cool guy.

http://www.brielcomputers.com/store.html

I suppose you could also play with some micro-controllers.

Good idea. I need to be original, so making a Apple 1 replica is no good, but it will be a good learning experience. Do you mean build as in put together prebuilt components?

If you are doing this, go all out.

I remember this article from ages ago... epic.

http://www.stevechamberlin.com/cpu/bmow1/
Wow, thats amazing! Its a good design too.

good luck...

and btw, you may be as old as this guy by the time you finally complete your task, and of course then you'll have to put up with all the "hey, 1936 called and they want their computer back, lulz, lulz"...
XD Maybe not that old. I aint building a supercomputer

Good Luck with that then :)
why thank you.

Oh, and Grant, give me a reason why I cant use anoter older CPU Architecture? I mean, I know a reason, but I want your thoughts.

Thank you all in helping me with this!

There's absolutely no reason you couldn't use an older CPU architecture. But if it's anywhere from 1995 to current, it'll have to be scaled.

There's absolutely no reason you couldn't use an older CPU architecture. But if it's anywhere from 1995 to current, it'll have to be scaled.

My reason was that it is just old XD
Well, then I guess if I really want to do the CPU, I will go with an older design.

Today I got to rip an AMD Sempron CPU out of a old PC, and a Intel Celeron too. I also got a couple fans, but that makes my personal maximum 3, not 2. So I guess its time to make some fans!

This is now a progress thread. Thank you all for your support. You guys are a great team, and your encouragement is great!

Back
Top Bottom