CF wiki

I'm pretty sure that Berry120 wanted to keep that hidden until it's been populated with articles?
That was the original idea, but no matter - just everyone bear in mind that things may well change a LOT in the next few weeks. I'll make an announcement when it's relatively stable, but in the meantime it may be down every so often, paths may change, articles may be moved around (so don't save any links!) and so on.

If anyone wants to contribute, then more articles is the name of the game! Head over to here and take suggestions to do or add to the list :)

Right, well as they say - if you want something done, sometimes you have to do it yourself ;)

So - would anyone be for / against (asking David in particular here) if I went ahead and set up such a wiki? I'd be sure to clearly link back to the forums so as not to detract traffic away from here, and try to do it "properly" (proper domain name with a proper instance, not some unreliable free site with adverts left right and centre.)

The way I'd see it going would be that it'd be a subdomain on my existing site while it started with a few select users writing a few articles, commenting and helping to improve it. When we felt it was ready, I'd register an appropriate domain name, transfer it across and it'd then go live (there's no point making a huge announcement about an empty wiki!)

I've got a couple of spare days coming up hopefully, so if the answer is yes I should be able to get something up and running fairly quickly.
personally I think that it should be hosted on the same server as the forums, if only so that the same username/passwords could be used to update the wiki as we use here to post.

so the question is:
what software would be used for the Wiki, (if possible this would want to be agreed with David, so if in the future it was moved to this server the whole database could just be detached and the data files sent to David to be attached here).

is there any Wiki software that can "plug in" to the VB database regarding user credentials?

personally I think that it should be hosted on the same server as the forums, if only so that the same username/passwords could be used to update the wiki as we use here to post.

so the question is:
what software would be used for the Wiki, (if possible this would want to be agreed with David, so if in the future it was moved to this server the whole database could just be detached and the data files sent to David to be attached here).

is there any Wiki software that can "plug in" to the VB database regarding user credentials?

See, in theory I agree, it would likely be better on these servers and would be better if the usernames / passwords seamlessly tied in. However, from a practical standpoint I'm not sure that'd happen, and my aim here is to get something going that's usable even if it's not in the most ideal format.

I've gone with mediawiki for now. There are alternatives yes, but mediawiki really is the de-facto standard these days. I've also worked with it extensively in the past, there's a wealth of plugins available and transferring the content across shouldn't be too much of a challenge if the instance does need to move elsewhere.

There have been a few more changes - I hacked together a custom theme based off the mozilla wiki theme, it's not great but it'll do for now. I've also installed a couple of extensions, you can now embed youtube videos in pages for instance.

More take up on articles would be good - we'll need a lot of people contributing for this to fully take off! :)

I will start contributing really basic how-TOs because it's those that we get quite often

And i'd be massively surprised if there isn't a user-bridge between mediawiki and vBulletin, bearing in mind they're both industry leaders in there area

And i'd be massively surprised if there isn't a user-bridge between mediawiki and vBulletin, bearing in mind they're both industry leaders in there area
There are hacks such as the one above though. That is a bit problematic however, because the wiki is running 1.15 and it only works up until 1.14 - it'd probably also create a lot more problems on the backup side of things.

I will start contributing really basic how-TOs because it's those that we get quite often
Thanks, much appreciated :) Can you make sure you put what you're doing on the article suggestions page, that way we can avoid two people writing the same thing!

Back
Top Bottom