New graphic card, enough power?

booloo

Solid State Member
ASUS P6T, Core i7-920, 8600 GT, 6GB DDR3 G.Skill-Trident, Antec 900, Coolermaster Extreme Power 550, Seagate 320Gb 3.5, Pioneer 218, Acer 2ms S243HL, Win 7 64bit.

im thinking of replacing my 8600 GT to a 1GB 5850, will my power supply be ok? and some time in the future i will get another 1GB 5850.

ASUS P6T, Core i7-920, 8600 GT, 6GB DDR3 G.Skill-Trident, Antec 900, Coolermaster Extreme Power 550, Seagate 320Gb 3.5, Pioneer 218, Acer 2ms S243HL, Win 7 64bit.

im thinking of replacing my 8600 GT to a 1GB 5850, will my power supply be ok? and some time in the future i will get another 1GB 5850.

it may be enough, but I would get a good quality (Corsair, Antec, etc.) 750w or 850w psu just to give you some headroom if you're planning on going crossfire in the future...

thanks man. so atm ill be ok run a single 5850? and i wont be doing any damage to my system by under powering it?

wat brand should i get? 5850 Asus, 5850 HIS or 5850 Powercolor... im leaning to the Asus just because i havnt really heard of the other brands, but it does cost more and does it make thats much more different?

Get a sapphire. They seem to be the preferred ATI partner. ASUS if not.

I'd get a new PSU. You are dangerously close to not having enough and it can damage hardware.

I recommend OCZ. A 700w would be perfect. They have a few models to choose from.

EDIT: your PSU is dual-rail. It will be nearly impossible to distribute the power evenly so it is all used, and ALL 550 watts would be needed to even have a chance.

Dont even try it. It will crash when you go to 3D.

I always add 50-100 watts to what AMD says since my last two ATI card overdrew higher wattage PSU's than recommended. One time it fried a DVD drive...

for example, my 4870 x2 (ati recommended 650w) consistently overdrew a 700w game X stream.

I always add 50-100 watts to what AMD says since my last two ATI card overdrew higher wattage PSU's than recommended. One time it fried a DVD drive...

for example, my 4870 x2 (ati recommended 650w) consistently overdrew a 700w game X stream.

or the GameXStream wasn't really putting out the 700w, ProXStreams are good OCZ psus, the others (GameXStream, ModXStream, etc.) can be iffy, that 700w GameXStream is also not on AMD's list of approved psus for that card while some 550w and 650w psus are, there are also plenty of 750w psus on the list as well, the key is getting a quality unit, I would trust a Corsair HX620 or TX650 to run that card more than a Rosewill or Logisys 1000w psu...

from just about every review out there the power draw for a whole system with a 4870x2 is under 500w, I saw one extreme system where the power draw was 680w+, but that was with a Quad Core Extreme cpu, three Raptors, yada, yada, yada, but that is the highest I have seen and seems to be the one exception to the norm, your system's power draw would definitely fall right around the norm imo and the 5850 requires considerably less power than the 4870x2 (~66% or 2/3)...

can u have a look on the web site and tell me wat PSU, you reckon i should get?
I would rather it below $200 but i wont some thing that will last for ages and will be able to handle upgrades.
http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

dude, I'm not gonna open up any unknown PDF file, hold on while I check out the site...

well, I sure as hell wouldn't trust any of the "Shaw" psus, at those prices either they're the second greatest deal ever (my 1000w recertified OCZ ProXStream for $70 shipped was THE greatest deal ever ;) ) or they are complete crap, a replacement guarantee means nothing if they're crap, you'll just keep getting one crappy psu after another when they fail and may end up having more down time than up time with regards to your system...

my choices would be either of the Corsairs that are 750w, the TX750 is a solid unit and is in your price range, but the HX series (modular) is better and the HX750 is ONLY $10 over your limit...

or either of the the Antecs that are 750w (Earthwatts or True Power, both are less than $170), if the True Power is the "Antec True Power New 750w" get that one, it's a really good unit and is said to put out MORE than it's rated wattage, some testers have almost gotten it to 950w :eek: ...

too bad you're not in the states, the recertified OCZ ProXStream 1000w I got around Thanksgiving time is STILL on sale for less than $90 at SVC dot com...

or the GameXStream wasn't really putting out the 700w, ProXStreams are good OCZ psus, the others (GameXStream, ModXStream, etc.) can be iffy, that 700w GameXStream is also not on AMD's list of approved psus for that card while some 550w and 650w psus are, there are also plenty of 750w psus on the list as well, the key is getting a quality unit, I would trust a Corsair HX620 or TX650 to run that card more than a Rosewill or Logisys 1000w psu...

from just about every review out there the power draw for a whole system with a 4870x2 is under 500w, I saw one extreme system where the power draw was 680w+, but that was with a Quad Core Extreme cpu, three Raptors, yada, yada, yada, but that is the highest I have seen and seems to be the one exception to the norm, your system's power draw would definitely fall right around the norm imo and the 5850 requires considerably less power than the 4870x2 (~66% or 2/3)...

Well... When I have my CPU overclocked (for gaming) it can overdraw a 20A rail... I'm thinking that might have been why I didn't have enough power, in conjunction with the overclocked 4870 x2 (840/1020)

OP: Where are you located? You could always go to ebay and tick the international shipping option in your search. You'll find better prices there I bet.

Back
Top Bottom