I'm interested in programming but really where do i start?

samueleen

In Runtime
I only know the absolute basics about programming (after reading Berry's post) but i'm really interested in it! I've got the hang of HTML and have been using it for about a year now. I just want to know if there is anybody who can answer these questions:
1) What is Java?
2) What is Flash?
3) What is a VPN?

:confused:

Right, starting with your 3rd point - a VPN is a virtual private network. Google it if you want to know more, but it's really nothing to do with programming so I won't explain here!

Java is an enterprise scale, huge and very popular object oriented programming language. It can be used for all number of things and despite it's extensibility it's rather easy to get started with.

Flash is a multimedia platform that's used pretty much solely for viewing videos / playing games online. It's pretty easy to knock something up in it but it's quite restrictive in what it can do (and arguably being phased out as the various multimedia tags in HTML 5 replace some of its current uses.)

If you just want to knock a few animations up here and there and deal with a few graphics (and not have to do as much actual coding) then flash may well be what you're after.

If you're looking to seriously get into programming on the other hand, there's no question about it - it's Java you want to look at.

Okay thanks! How much do Java/Flash cost to run/use?

I'm only wondering about this because I've got a project at school to make a simple animation.

:)

Have you thought about looking into c++? Or are you dead set on graphical languages?

Have you thought about looking into c++? Or are you dead set on graphical languages?
What's a graphical language? I hope you're not putting Java on the same page as flash - the two couldn't be more different.

As for C++ - I wouldn't recommend it for the reasons I outlined in my sticky post. There's just too much potential to trip up if you're just starting out.

Okay thanks! How much do Java/Flash cost to run/use?

I'm only wondering about this because I've got a project at school to make a simple animation.

Java costs nothing, if you can learn it you can program it. As for flash (which you should use for animating), you will need to purchase a program to create them. You can check out Adobe's site for a free trial of it. Flash is great for making really nice animations, but if you want it to look really well I wouldn't use Flash to make the graphics. Something as in PhotoShop is great for graphics. Just note, when making your animation in Flash you should be familiar with tweens and how to save your animation. Saving is simple and I'll explain it here. Go to export>movie under the file type drop down select Animated GIF (not to be confused with GIF sequence) and save!

As for flash (which you should use for animating)
Taking your rather broad definition of animating for creating animations to put on the web - I wouldn't necessarily agree. In fact, I'd swing it completely the other way and say use flash only as a very very last resort. It requires plugins that not everybody has, is completely non standards compliant, is 100% crap for accessibility and lots of its uses are soon being replaced with standards compliant support in HTML5.

If you want to do some kind of funky animated thing, you should first decide whether you can do it with pure HTML / CSS, perhaps making it a bit plainer as a compromise. If that won't work, then Javascript should be your next port of call. If it's really complicated, have a look at something like GWT - program in a nicer, higher level language and have the dirty work done for you.

Only if none of that will work should you really be looking at flash. Back in the day it was a great way to add life to browsers where horrible Javascript alert boxes were really the most dynamic a page would get. These days it couldn't be more different - it should be the absolute last port of call for animations, not the first.

Taking your rather broad definition of animating for creating animations to put on the web - I wouldn't necessarily agree. In fact, I'd swing it completely the other way and say use flash only as a very very last resort. It requires plugins that not everybody has, is completely non standards compliant, is 100% crap for accessibility and lots of its uses are soon being replaced with standards compliant support in HTML5.

Under the file type drop down select Animated GIF.
GIFs don't require plug-ins last I checked.

I've got a project at school to make a simple animation.

He doesn't want animation for web, but for a school project.

you should first decide whether you can do it with pure HTML / CSS

That quote makes you my hero! The power of CSS is underrated.

For peeps that want examples check out http://www.csszengarden.com/

Yeah I think if I was gonna put my time into a language, I am gonna do Java. I'm not taking away from C++ its great too.

@ samueleen
Good luck on your choice. Most all programmers are in love with the language they learned, and think its the best.

Edit: Just realized this post is a month old

Back
Top Bottom