2nd monitor - opinions

I'm thinking about getting a 21/22" (I find 24" too big) monitor. My only hesitation is that I'm getting ready to also buy a laptop. For those who use a second monitor, is it worth it? Lately, I've had to use a lot of software for my math homework, and sometime I'm also looking stuff up on Google. If I get a 2nd monitor I'll have $150 less to spend on the laptop. What should I do?

Well, it depends.

If you're planning on using the laptop at school and elsewhere quite often, then I'd say the laptop first.

If you don't plan of using it that much or if you feel you can wait, then you can get your screen.

it kinda depends on your needs. I find dual-monitor gaming to be amazing, but you will have to have two monitors with the same size and resolution for it to work.
for general desktop use, kinda depends. How much are you flipping between tabs and such? For me, its all the time, so I like to use two (or four) monitors.

I switch between tabs a lot. The laptop won't be bought until later this year, but I'm looking at this right now because a second monitor would really come in handy right now.

What sort of laptop are you buying?

If you're buying a desktop replacement laptop that you are going to use mostly at a desk then I'd say go for the second monitor if you want. But if you are buying an ultraportable then I'd say no because chances are you won't be spending much time at a desk with it. I've found that people who buy small and light laptops enjoy being anywhere but the desk with it and I'm sure you will too. No sense buying a second monitor with it if you don't think you will use it that much.

I'd buy the laptop first, using all the money you planned to spend on it. Then later on if you feel you need/want a monitor then you can save up some more money and buy it.

i would invest in the extra space
once you have it you will never go back
you just cant see yourself being that constricted by a single screen
or........... at least i cant
when i have 2 browsers open full of tabs, an excel spread sheet, and iTunes playing in the background having a 2nd screen is a must
for that matter even a 3rd can come in handy
(i cannibalized a 19" from my bro who has moved out so yeah......)
the extra space is indeed beneficial
but sometimes i find myself not using all of it
oh well

Newegg has a nice deal on a 23" 1080p Hanns-G for $160. I was looking to buy that.

As far as the laptop, I'm looking to buy a 15.4" (no bigger than 16.1" and no smaller than 13"). I will most likely spend around $1600 on it, with my dad covering $1200. And since I have $550 right now, I figured I could dish out money for a monitor.

edit: Will I be able to run a 19" and a 23" together?

Have you considered getting a big 40" screen and splitting your desktop in half? It would be a little more space saving and would look cool too.

I don't want to spend much more than $150 on a second screen...

edit: My question hasn't been answered: Do dual monitor with different sizes work at different resolutions simultaneously? Or do I need to run them both at the lowest setting?

Also, for a smaller screen (<24in), how does Full 1080p compare to just regular?

I'm looking at these 3 options:

23" Acer - $180
23.6" Full HD Asus - $200
23" Full HD Hanns G - $160

I want something that is built with good quality. The Hanns G got some bad reviews, but they were for dumb reasons.

Use that money on the notebook. If you really want a dual monitor setup, hook up your current monitor to the notebook you're planning to purchase.

Back
Top Bottom